Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Shoulder bump problem? Not far enough?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2013, 06:04 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Shoulder bump problem? Not far enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff View Post
Broz

I tried Sully2's idea of a shim. I took a case that was sized and measured .126"
I then slipped a .010"standard feeler blade gauge beneath the case and ran it through again.
Low and behold it worked! I got .116"! THANKS Sully2!
So I think these shell holders you describe will work. If I read this correct? they will step UP INTO the die in .002" increments from a standard shell holder?

Thanks guys for throwing ideas at me and helping me find a solution to the problem. This has been driving me crazy for two weeks now.

This might be slightly off topic.
I have all this brass. Federal was the worst followed by Hornady then Winchester
as far as finding cases that would fit. The cases that I had the best luck with was some nickel coated Winchester. What is the purpose of the nickel coating and is this type brass any good?

What are the general opinions on brass? What's best?

Thanks again, BGG

Skip's die shim kit - (7/8-14) | Sinclair Intl

Thats where I got my shims from.

I use Remington; Winchester and Lapua

The only nickle plates casings I use are for special things and I use the nickle cases to keep them segregated. The nickle flakes off though so they arent nearly as long lived as good brass is.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:10 PM
Platinum Member

You have said several things that make me think it is not a die problem but a setup issue.

1. Won't fit in another gun
2. Two different dies and same issue.
3. Die all the way down on the shellholder.

I would say you might be bumping the shoulder back too far and creating a very small ridge at the case/shoulder junction that actually prevents chambering.

Ask me how I know that is an issue sometimes when you put the die all the way to the shell holder. Had it happen long time ago to me on first custom rifle and dies.

Back the die off one turn and start resizing a new piece of brass until it will just chamber and then measure.

You can use the skip otto shims from Sinclair to use one die for multiple rifles by measuring the fired cases and set the die up for the shortest case and then use shims for the longer cases. Cost is about $12

The Redding competition shellholders with .002 variation for 5 holders is another good way.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:25 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
ORRRR...you can SHIM the casing in the shell holder to get the few thousandths bump you might need.

Sound familiar??
Now that is a great Idea !!!!!!!!

We are never to old to learn something new.

I tried the shims under the case head on some different cases that required re-setting the dies just
a few thousandths and it worked perfect. I also cut the shims to fit and placed them with the die set
for later use.

Thanks for tip Sully

J E CUSTOM
Old 10-20-2013, 09:53 AM
Gold Member

a set of competition shell holders as reccomended by others is a simple solution. sinclair offers them also. just follow the instructions in the box.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
a set of competition shell holders as reccomended by others is a simple solution. sinclair offers them also. just follow the instructions in the box.

Its not as simple as inserting a shim in the shell holder when needed....??? And a SET of "competition shell holders" is a LOT more $$ than a shim pack kit!
Old 10-20-2013, 11:42 AM

Sully2

The shim pack your talking about would actually go in the opposite direction of what I need. Those shims would raise the die to get the adjustments. I need the die to go further on to the case. That's where the shim under the case works to get the case deeper into the die. Hopefully the shell holder kit will do the same thing.

It was your comment about the shims that got me going in the right direction.

Thanks

BGG
Old 10-20-2013, 12:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff View Post
Sully2

The shim pack your talking about would actually go in the opposite direction of what I need. Those shims would raise the die to get the adjustments. I need the die to go further on to the case. That's where the shim under the case works to get the case deeper into the die. Hopefully the shell holder kit will do the same thing.

It was your comment about the shims that got me going in the right direction.

Thanks

BGG
The shims fit into the keyslot in the shell holder...RAISING it up to go furthers into the die. There is more than enough "slop" on that slot to accomodate the amount of additional shoulder moving that we both require to make our casings work.