Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Shoulder bump problem? Not far enough?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2013, 08:22 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Shoulder bump problem? Not far enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Jeff..

If you read the post previous to my post, the poster stated he applied excessive cam over. That's what I was referring to. Nothing more. Once you achieve a 'felt' cam over on any press, exceeding that gains nothing and stresses the components.

In other words, no need to 'reef' on it.
Agreed, I too had already read the posts about exerting excessive pressure. This prompted my last post to explain my method in detail. I wanted it clear I do not use any more than is needed to keep zero clearance between the dies and holder. Once you have zero clearance nothing more can be gained other than stressing equipment.

Jeff
Old 10-23-2013, 08:35 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Shoulder bump problem? Not far enough?

Myself, I like the Lee specific caliber crimp dies (if in fact you consider them viable is of course your own preference) simply because I load for the group and I don't know how the loads will be ultimately handled (in other words, mght be banging around in a hunting coat pocket or range bag for all I know).

To that end, I machined the lower eccentric plate on a Rockchucker to accept a torque wrench in 1/2" square drive (I broached a square hole in the malleable casting). That way, I can apply repeatable torque when seating and crimping.

I use it for opening case mouths on pistol (straight wall) too. I can get 'just the right amount' of bellmouth on a straight wall case without overworking the brass and ulrimately cracking the mouth.

I believe there are a couple torque indicating setups on the market that retrofit presses.....