Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Should I prep brand new brass.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2008, 02:53 PM
Silver Member

Should I prep brand new brass.

I bought 200 new winchester .222 rem brass and was wondering if it is necessary to size trim and chamfer before loading them?
Old 01-18-2008, 03:04 PM
Silver Member

You'll get a ton of opinions on this. Since the new brass is already at minimal specs running them through a full length sizing is going to change almost nothing about the brass anyhow. The way I do it is to run the brass over an expander ball to get the neck trued and then chamfer inside case mouth and load. I go to the range where I usually find as good as accuracy as if I fully prepped.
Bottom line is if you look at alot of magazine articles where they are testing normal factory rifles there is very little diff between the accuracy of handloads and factory loads. After you've fireformed the brass to your chamber you can now do the steps you like for better fit and a slight increase in accuracy.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:15 PM
Platinum Member

It pays off.

I believe in trueing primer pockets and deburring the flashole as a minimum of brass prep. I have seen very ununiform primer pockets and flash holes on new brass. If you intend to crimp than you have to trim the length too (most people don't crimp though). Deburr neck and vld the inside. There is always a damaged piece with a bent neck or something so resizing doesn't hurt anything. I the only step I omit from new brass is tumbling. I am guessing that if you purchased new brass and spend the time to load, you probably want inexpensive GOOD ammo. every little bit helps.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:53 PM
Silver Member

I alway's trim all mine to the minimum trim length,I noticed all my winchester brass varied slightly in length.I also size them,because most of them come bent on the top edge,I size them to true up the neck so I can get the bullet seated.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:31 PM
Platinum Member

I full length re-size, trim to the "trim to length" (max overall case length minus .010"), de-burr the flash holes and champher in/outside neck.
My reasoning is the next time I reload I only neck size. Depending on the load I can usually get away with neck sizing a few times. Once the cases are trimmed to minimum I usually don't have to trim again for several loadings. As far as I know and have seen, once you de-burr the flash holes you never have to do that again. Champhering the necks I do each time I run them through my dies.
I usually only tumble after every 4-5th reloading and I keep a record of how many times each case is shot. Hope this helps. JohnnyK.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:40 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraky View Post
You'll get a ton of opinions on this. Since the new brass is already at minimal specs running them through a full length sizing is going to change almost nothing about the brass anyhow. The way I do it is to run the brass over an expander ball to get the neck trued and then chamfer inside case mouth and load. I go to the range where I usually find as good as accuracy as if I fully prepped.
Bottom line is if you look at alot of magazine articles where they are testing normal factory rifles there is very little diff between the accuracy of handloads and factory loads. After you've fireformed the brass to your chamber you can now do the steps you like for better fit and a slight increase in accuracy.
Kraky,
On the 24Hr Bonfire and other places this would be a common post, on LRH this is nigh unto Blasphemy "little diff between the accuracy of handloads and factory loads". If you hurry you can edit your post before you get stoned.
UB
Old 01-20-2008, 08:38 PM
Platinum Member

I think he meant handloads with new brass before it is fireformed to the chamber.