Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Should I crimp my .243 hunting bullets?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2013, 12:11 PM

Should I crimp my .243 hunting bullets?

I am brand new to reloading and need a little help. I am about to crank out my first batch of hand loaded rounds ever. I have the cases cleaned, sized, and prepped. I am now ready to prime, add powder, and seat a bullet. However, I am not sure whether I should crimp my bullets or not.

I am loading for a Tikka T3 .243. I bought two different bullets to try: 85 gn Sierra Gameking HPBT, and 100 gn Sierra Pro Hunter SP. Neither of these bullets have a cannelure. I am trying to load rounds that will be "highly accurate hunting rounds." Will be trying Varget and IMR-4064 powders.

If I don't crimp, will seating depth change on my rounds as they are in the magazine of my gun or loaded into the chamber from the detachable magazine? What about if I keep 4 or 5 extras in my pocket while hunting? Will that bump them out of whack? How easily will these bullets move around in the neck? And....is crimping bullets without a cannelure something you really shouldn't do anyway? Thanks for your help.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:55 PM
Silver Member

Re: Should I crimp my .243 hunting bullets?

No need to crimp in a bolt gun. I worried about that same thing when I first started. I throw them in my pocket, in the cup holder, all over the place with no problems. I always measure them when I get home to see if they change, and they never do. I'm loading my bullets almost to the lands too. In fact when I worked up a round for my rifle, I had several loads made with gradual increases in powder trying to find my max load. Once I found my max load, I still had 4-5 rounds left over that had too much powder in them for me to use. I didn't have a bullet puller at the time, so I used a pair of pliers (I DO NOT recomend this one bit for the record. I was being stupid, and have since bought the correct tool). To my surprise it took a great deal of force to pull the bullets from the brass. I would say that you are fine as long as you don't completely abuse them. My 2 cents.
BlackHawk 30mm rings
BlackHawk Bipod
Rifle Basix Sav-2 Trigger
168gr Berger VLD Huning Bullets
Remington Brass
WLRM Primers
H1000 69.4 grains
Bullets seated .010" off the lands

Howa 1500 .243
Nikon Prostaff BDC 3-9x40
Custom Cherry Wood Stock (Action bedded, barrel floated)
Winchester Brass
87 gr Berger VLD
WLR Primers
Still working on load
Old 10-24-2013, 12:59 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowellSixO View Post
No need to crimp in a bolt gun. I worried about that same thing when I first started. I throw them in my pocket, in the cup holder, all over the place with no problems. I always measure them when I get home to see if they change, and they never do. I'm loading my bullets almost to the lands too. In fact when I worked up a round for my rifle, I had several loads made with gradual increases in powder trying to find my max load. Once I found my max load, I still had 4-5 rounds left over that had too much powder in them for me to use. I didn't have a bullet puller at the time, so I used a pair of pliers (I DO NOT recomend this one bit for the record. I was being stupid, and have since bought the correct tool). To my surprise it took a great deal of force to pull the bullets from the brass. I would say that you are fine as long as you don't completely abuse them. My 2 cents.
+1 on that. As long as your not loading a automatic then you dont have to. Atleast i think thats how it goes someone correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:28 PM
Silver Member

really there is no need to crimp unless you are into a military situation. But, if you want to crimp go ahead.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:48 PM

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate the help. I don't really want to crimp if it isn't necessary. Its just that some of the things I have read and youtube videos I have watched made me think it is something I am supposed to do for any ammo I am not shooting from a bench.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:32 PM
Platinum Member

I don't crimp any rounds for my bolt guns. Here is something that may further put your mind at ease. Seat a bullet and measure the exact OAL. Hold the brass and put the tip of the bullet on a 2x4. Push with a little force and re-measure. Push a little harder and re-measure. See how hard you have to lean on it to get it to move. I think you'll be surprised just how much force is needed to get it moving.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:34 AM

Crimping for a bolt gun generally is not desirable, but I will share an exception that I encountered. Many years ago I bought a bolt 30/06 with an unbelievably long throat. I could barely reach the lands even with 180 Gr bullets, much less the 150's I wanted to use for deer. I struggled to get accuracy or velocity out of my reloads despite being at max book loads. So I tried the lee factory crimper on my 150 Gr Hornady Spire Points (which have the cannelure). It was like a miracle--velocity and accuracy improved.