Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Short Mag Bullet Puller????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 09:33 AM
Silver Member

Short Mag Bullet Puller????

I have decided the pressures on my 300 WSM loads are little more than I am comfortable with and want to pull my bullets and start over. I don't feel like wasting 50+ bullets and powder charges, so just shooting them is out of the question.
Problem is, the fat 300WSM cases won't fit in my kinetic bullet puller nor my RCBS collet style puller. Does anyone market a bullet puller for the short fat cartridges, preferably, the collet style?
Old 02-15-2011, 11:25 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Short Mag Bullet Puller????

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHardWay View Post
I have decided the pressures on my 300 WSM loads are little more than I am comfortable with and want to pull my bullets and start over. I don't feel like wasting 50+ bullets and powder charges, so just shooting them is out of the question.
Problem is, the fat 300WSM cases won't fit in my kinetic bullet puller nor my RCBS collet style puller. Does anyone market a bullet puller for the short fat cartridges, preferably, the collet style?
go over to Ebay and get one of the Forster pullers with the 30 caliber collet. If used right they wil not damage the bullets when pulled.
gary
Old 02-15-2011, 12:51 PM
Platinum Member

I'm surprised you can't fit your WSM into an RCBS kenetic bullet puller, my Lazzeroni Patriot brass fits (a little snug), but it fits while being larger diameter than the WSM.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:01 PM
Platinum Member

I use a RCBS kinetic puller on my 270 WSM, it's tight but works fine.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 02-15-2011, 02:03 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
I'm surprised you can't fit your WSM into an RCBS kenetic bullet puller, my Lazzeroni Patriot brass fits (a little snug), but it fits while being larger diameter than the WSM.
I have seen a guy taking a normal shell holder, put the bullet in it and turned it around in the RCBS kinetic bullet puller. Just remember to put some cotton or sponge at the bottom of the kinetic bullet puller. This helps to prevent damage to the bullet's nose. I had used the press type bullet pullers, but have found that if you do not fastern it well the bullet would slip from the collet and this usually damage the bullet. Today I prefer the RCBS with the cotton at the bottom! If you are not going to use the bullets again I think the press type would be the quickest.

Last edited by Reloader222; 02-15-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:20 PM
Bronze Member

If you are using the Kinetic Type puller you need the larger size collet for the WSM and similar bolt faces. I ran into the same problem when I bought my RCBS unit. I didnt come with the bigger collet.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:32 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
I use a RCBS kinetic puller on my 270 WSM, it's tight but works fine.

My kinetic style puller is a Frakford Arsenal...must be a little narrower than the RCBS one. The RCBS puller I have is the collet style.

I think I may have solved my problem. I took the drill press and die grinder to the kinetic puller and reamed it out a bit. I will use the shell holder from my loading press, stuff a cottonball in the end, and I should be good to go. Still wondering if anyone makes a collet style puller for the short mags since banging away on 50 rounds will get old quick.