Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Shocking Results!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2009, 04:23 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Shocking Results!

Don Geraci never weighs cases, and he has set as many world records and has more BR HOF points than just about anyone. I can't say that it does not help, but feel that brassprep is sort of a personal thing. Just do what makes you feel good.
As far as needing to be a little crazy to chase ultimate accuracy......if your not crazy when you start, you will be by the time you get there. I find the minutia to be minute. I do not sweat the small stuff, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing whatever you can.
I hope the original poster did not feel that anyone was bashing him. I did not see it that way and hope that he will continue to post. It is often hard to understand the tone of the hastily written word. I always assume the best and le it go. My skin is getting a little thicker as I age.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:32 PM
Silver Member

I agree with Eddybo,if weighing and sorting your brass makes you more confident,then do it.Afterall,being confident play's a big part in accuracy.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:47 PM
Silver Member

I didn't mean to pissed anybody off with what I wrote, but it is hard to see personality, tone of voice etc on these blogs.

Way I see it though, if Heikki can't take somebody challenging his ideas in public forum without crying and running away...not much of a personality. Probably not a hunter either.

He sure was quick to throw in the college degrees and national championships
Old 05-06-2009, 09:42 PM

Hey guys, no hard feelings. Like I said, to each his own. I havn't replied in a bit, I've been stuck in the seeder. 3000 more acres to go...

I've hunted all my life. Everything I know I've learned from my amazing Dad. He's my best friend and my only hunting partner. I've taken deer with buckshot in a 12 gauge, with a compound bow, with a cross bow (an Excalibur!!! Best there is and made in Canada!), and a miriad of rifles. I loved the comment about confidence. Shooting well, with equipment you trust, leads to confidence. I am an extremly ethical hunter, and 330yards is a far shot, but I was confident because with that rifle I could consistently hit a 6 inch target at 500yards. I knew the rifle, I prepped and loaded the brass, and knew given the conditions I could make the shot. Last year I was fortunate enough to take two whitetails. One in Ontario with a bow, and one in Saskatchewan with a rifle. Here are a couple pics of my 08 hunt.

Saskatchewan Whitetail - 30-06 - 330yards

Ontario Whitetail - Browning Mirage - 9yards
Old 05-06-2009, 11:04 PM

While I am new to this board, I certainly am not new to reloading nor to shooting and competing at long range, so I have about two cents worth of comments and observations. Take them for what they cost you and "your milage may vary" and no insects or other crawkling things were injured or kilt in the making of this post.

My first civilian experiance with long range shooting and reloading started with BPCR Silhouette in 1998. BPCR stands for "Black Powder Cartridge Rifle" these are the old buffalo guns of the period of 1870 to around 1915 or so. In reloading these old rifles there are many problems needing to be dealt with that smokeless powder shooters never deal with.

Case preperation can be just as big of a problem as any form of shooting, maybe worse. there is always after all that terrible fouling that must be dealt with. When I first started shooting BPCR I didn't really have a clue, but man did I learn quick. Building a load for a rifle that will be shot at typical Silhouette ranges of 200 meters --- 300 meters --- 385 meters-- and 500 meters and has a trajectory of a rainbow can try your patience. My come ups from the Chickens the 200 meter target to the Rams the 500 meter target is 67 Points or MOA.

In the begining I tried just about every reloading technique and trick I could come up with. I weighed and sorted brass till I was blue in the face, I sorted and sifted powder to remove the fines. Only shot bullets that weighed within + or - .2 tenths of a grain. I tested every primer known to man and even for a small amount of time weighed them as well. My scores did reflect improvement but still not what I was looking for.

What I found after doing the "PERFECTION RELOADING" thing for awhile that what really worked and I mean really worked was shooting and I mean a lot of shooting. When I finally got serious I was shooting 3 times a week and a match every weekend. All I did for a period of a year was cast bullets, load, drive and shoot. Some of those weekend matches were a 1,000 mile drive one way. I was shooting a Custom Built Meacham 1885 Highwall in 45-90 caliber with the best MVA Vernier Tang Mounted Soule sight I could afford. This site had a total of 44 MOA windage, and on the Rams one year at Raton in the National shoot I used almost every bit of that. In my first 32 matches that year my Ram count ( the 500 meter target) with Iron sights was 319 out of a possible 320. I am not a gifted or talented shooter, for me it has always been work and hard work. Trigger time, Trigger Time and then some more Trigger Time is just maybe the very best thing in the world for a shooter.

RS

P.S. And I guess to stay on the subject of this post. I only shot Winchester Brass I always found it to be without a doubt the most consistant. And the case capacity of Winchester brass is at least in the 45-90, two grains more than any other Brass.

I shot this target on the 1,000 yd range at the Whitting Center. Rifle was a
Cody Ballard in 45-100 Caliber with Iron sights, and there are 15 shots in this group