Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Shipping gunpowder? Help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2013, 06:16 PM
Silver Member

Shipping gunpowder? Help!

Sorry folks if this is in the wrong place. Does anyone know if its ok and how to ship gunpowder? UPS hazmat section is closed for the weekend and I need a quicker answer than that. Please limit your answers to actual knowledge or links to where I can find an answer.
UPS description is very all over the place to say the least.
Thank you in advance for any recent experiences, costs, etc and I am not interested in shipping it without declaring what is inside, just simply not looking for any trouble. This will be private party to private party and probably not more than an 8lb keg.
Dave
Old 03-23-2013, 06:25 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Shipping gunpowder? Help!

Had a thread with the same question a week or so ago and no you can't ship powder unless you have a hazmat license. I talked to UPS hazmat and their advice was to find someone who has one and see if they'd be willing to ship it under their license.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:25 PM
Platinum Member

P-I-T-A

Avoid shipping powder, it is a nightnare and expensive. I had a buddy who was going to ship some to his brother as a bail-out due to shortages and he flat gave-up.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:35 PM
Bronze Member

is it too far to drive?! only partially kidding!

seriously, today at the local g-s pretty much everything was available. everywhere locally has been out of every popular powder for the last 6 or 7 weeks. but it actually seems to be improving. i left the show at noon, and there were still 2 dealers with H335 in stock ($24/#, and $29/#). H335 was the first thing that disappeared, and the first thing that had insane prices around here, and it seems to be back to normal.

if you can hold out another week or two, maybe you won't have to fool with the shipping hassles.

good luck!
Old 03-25-2013, 01:55 PM
Silver Member

Well yes, it appears to be a PIA. thanks for all the help. Dave