Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Shiny New 338 Lapua Brass, Now What?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2006, 12:05 PM
Silver Member

Re: Shiny New 338 Lapua Brass, Now What?

fishry,

There is no need to buy an additional full length sizing die, the body die and neck sizing die combo will fully resize the brass. As far as the expander button, I doubt that you will have any significant dings in your case necks, my Lapua 6.5-284 brass came with their necks in great shape. However, the necks were too tight to be able to comfortably be able to seat bullets, and I was grateful that my Type S neck sizing die came with a button for this purpose. If your necks are too tight as well, you should be able to get an appropriate button for ~ $10, although I would only use it the first time you sized them only, as they are purported to create high run out.

Good luck with your new toy,
Carl
Old 03-15-2006, 03:26 PM

And if Gap is going to rebarrel it you will not be able to use your brass if fired in any other Lapua. His chamber is way to tight. I had a trgs and some twice fired brass in it got my new lapua from Goeorge and loaded the old FULL length sized brass and it would not fit in the gun. Called George and he explained it to me pull the bullets get new brass and start over. Get some Rl 25 start at 86 grains and work up I( shoot 88.5) and also had great results with N560 86 grains it is just harder for me to find. I do everything possible to my Lapua brass some say you do not have to match prepare them but I do anyway it just takes a little extra time.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:37 PM
Platinum Member

Buy a Redding body bump die $26, that is what I am using on mine.

BH
Old 03-15-2006, 06:47 PM
Silver Member

I've read the Sierra and Hornady Manuals from cover-to-cover more than once (They resided on the back of my toilet for several months before I even started reloading, TMI). I especially liked the Sierra manual. I've been reloading for .308 and 300 wby for a few months now, with good results. I guess reloading for the 308 is like reloading 101 and reloading for the Lapua is like advanced reloading.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:52 PM
Silver Member

ROCK10X,

I didn't think about that, but you're right. Maybe I'll only use 50 of my 100 new pieces of brass until after the rebarreling. I'll probably wait about a year to rebarrel anyway.

So did you have your TRG-s rebarreled by GAP? Or was it a different Lapua that you got from him? If it was your TRG-s, did you have him put in his recoil lug for it and what stock is it in now?

I have some Reloader 25 powder. Are you referring to the 300 gr. SMK's? I have only been able to find limited reloading data for the 338 LM and would like some help with safe starting loads for some of the bullets and powders that I have on hand. I'll save that for a new thread.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:05 PM
Silver Member

OK, so let me make sure I understand... As long as the necks aren't dinged up, which it looks like they aren't, then just run them through the Body die that came with the competition die set, then run them through the neck sizing die, then proceed as normal.

At this point, I don't plan on turning necks. If I recall, I probably won't need to turn necks with the GAP chamber either. Right?

Could there be any harm (accuracy or reduced brass life) in uniforming the primer pockets with the Sinclair tool? I do this with my 308 and it makes it much easier for me to clean out the primer pockets using the Sinclair tool. It just worries me about how much brass the tool is removing.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:17 PM
Silver Member

Thanks everyone for the help and good advice, please keep it coming.