Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Shims for dies to aid in headspace

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2013, 04:36 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Shims for dies to aid in headspace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
"you can add a shim between the base of the case and the shell holder."..??
I would never do that. Use the Skip Otto shims to convert F/L setting to neck only sizing with no die change. The Redding Competition shell holders will allow you to size down a little more on the brass.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:16 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
I would never do that. Use the Skip Otto shims to convert F/L setting to neck only sizing with no die change. The Redding Competition shell holders will allow you to size down a little more on the brass.
And a new set for every caliber I load for! No thanks....the name here is NOT J. Paul Getty
and Im not interested in NECK sizing...Im interested in setting back the shoulder
Old 10-16-2013, 12:09 PM
Platinum Member

"The Redding Competition shell holders will allow you to size down a little more on the brass."

Not so. The Redding "Comp" shell holders are made thicker to reduce and control the possile amount of shoulder set back.

No one needs a set for "every" cartridge he loads for, only need one set for each case head size. Even then, if they help at all they're only useful for those cases we may want to squeeze out the last few thou of possible accuracy, they sure won't make a massive accuracy difference.

Any case body contact with a FL die during use changes the case body and is NOT "neck" sizing. Some case/FL die configurations will permit neck sizing by backing the die up a bit but it's not common, especially if the loader wishes to size the full length of the necks; that's why neck dies are made. If all it took was backing FL dies out a few thou no one would buy neck dies. Not that neck sizing has any real value in factory sporting rifles anyway.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:38 PM
Platinum Member

you can buy a shim kit from most of the better machine tool outlets. Look for the mill arbor shim kit. Come with everything from .001" to .06", and are not expensive, and are very accurate.
gary
Old 10-17-2013, 11:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
you can buy a shim kit from most of the better machine tool outlets. Look for the mill arbor shim kit. Come with everything from .001" to .06", and are not expensive, and are very accurate.
gary
True. I bought a cheep auto ignition "feeler" gage and use the blades in it.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
gary

The shims Ive ordered will do what I need just fine
Old 10-17-2013, 12:29 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtube View Post
True. I bought a cheep auto ignition "feeler" gage and use the blades in it.
That's what I use too. Getting the shim between the case bottom and shell holder works just fine and gives excellent repeatability.