Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Setting up Redding Type S FL bushing die--how do you do it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2007, 12:54 PM
Platinum Member

Setting up Redding Type S FL bushing die--how do you do it?

Hi guys,

Are there any 'tips' to setting up a Redding Type S FL bushing die other than what comes with the die? I did a couple of searches but couldn't come up with what I was looking for and I'm sure this has been discussed before--sorry!

Specifically, the directions talk about backing the stem off 1/16 turn after contacting the bushing to leave about .003 space for the bushing to self center. At this point do you go ahead and lock down the stem and call it good?

Techniques and tips please! Thanks!

Jon

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 12-09-2007, 02:41 PM
Platinum Member

Sometimes I do as the manual says and give it just a little room to self center.

But most of the times, I back it off and only size a portion of the neck. That way the unsized portion of the cartridge neck centers the round in my chamber. That has worked for me in my rifles, but I'm sure there are exceptions.

Beware, that too little neck tension can be bad, if you keep rounds in a magazine on a heavy recoiling rifle they can move.

I'd say on average, I leave 25% of the neck unsized. I use good brass that is very consistent thickness, I don't know how this would work with poor brass.

I also adjust the FL portion to just bump the shoulder back .001" or .0015", as I don't share reloads across my rifles, they each have their own brass.

I also throw the lock ring that comes with the Redding dies in the trash. I use the Lyman split rings , as they don't mark up the threads and they seem to be pretty straight.

HTH

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives

Last edited by AJ Peacock; 12-09-2007 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Keep remembering things to add.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:09 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmden View Post
Specifically, the directions talk about backing the stem off 1/16 turn after contacting the bushing to leave about .003 space for the bushing to self center. At this point do you go ahead and lock down the stem and call it good?

Jon
Yes, you are done, unless you wish to only size a portion of the neck. Then you can back if off even more. The 1/16 turn is the minimum you want to back it off.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:05 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks, guys. Just trying to learn what I can and be aware of any issues using the bushing style FL die.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl