Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

setting up lee collet dies in rcbs single stage press

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2012, 07:43 PM
Gold Member

Re: setting up lee collet dies in rcbs single stage press

You can't push the shoulder back with the Lee Collet, it is a NECK SIZER. To push the shoulder back you get a Redding Body Die to use in conjunction with the Lee Collet or just use your full length die and put up with the expander, increased runout and lube in the neck.

For your new brass just use the Lee Collet to round out the neck and shoot. Then only neck size for the next 2 or 3 loadings until the case gets hard to chamber, then worry about pushing the shoulder back.

Again, there is absolutely no reason to use both a full length die and a collet sizer one right after the other. Use one or the other
Old 02-14-2012, 08:26 PM
Gold Member

Re: setting up lee collet dies in rcbs single stage press

In My Win Mag every three firings I anneal the brass. Than run them in the FL sizer just barely touching the shoulder. I achieve this by sacrificing a piece of brass.

I set the FL sizer in the press and run the ram to the top of the stroke. I run the FL down till it touches the ram and run it back up about four complete turns. I then run the brass into the die. you should be able to see how far down the neck it has sized. I then adjust the die down till I can see it re-sizing the neck just to the shoulder. I tighten the lock ring put the expander back on and the FL re size all the brass that wont chamber.

I then neck size, re tumble with walnut and load from there.

YMMV

There are better way to accomplish the same thing but this works with my low budget equipment.

"Let glorious acts more glorious acts inspire,
And catch from breast to breast the noble fire!
On valour's side the odds of combat lie,
The brave live glorious, or lamented die;" - Iliad, Book V