Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Setting up a Full Length die.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2009, 01:07 AM
Silver Member

Re: Setting up a Full Length die.

I did a search on headspacing so I can try to understand it. I am fairly new to reloading. I bought an RCBS Precision Mic for my 22-250. I had a hard time understanding the directions until I started reading this topic. My fire formed once fired shells were showing .002 over factory new. I just kept sizing them until I got it to .001. I am assuming that is correct for me? Also, at first I kept using the same shell until I got the correct# and then did the rest of them (checking every 3rd one to be sure they came out the same). Were you using the same shell or did you use a different one everytime you needed to seat a little further? Thanks for the info.
Old 09-05-2009, 05:19 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker1 View Post
I did a search on headspacing so I can try to understand it. I am fairly new to reloading. I bought an RCBS Precision Mic for my 22-250. I had a hard time understanding the directions until I started reading this topic. My fire formed once fired shells were showing .002 over factory new. I just kept sizing them until I got it to .001. I am assuming that is correct for me? Also, at first I kept using the same shell until I got the correct# and then did the rest of them (checking every 3rd one to be sure they came out the same). Were you using the same shell or did you use a different one everytime you needed to seat a little further? Thanks for the info.

I use the same one . after you shoot your brass 3 or 4 times you will probably need to change your die setting a little , or use a different redding shell holder . your brass will loose it's spring back . ( or you will anneal the brass at this point ) with you measuring once fired brass you probably don't have your true chamber size yet , do to your brass spring back . so you could be over sizing the brass . on once fired brass I can use the .010 redding shell holder . after 2 or 3 firings I need to use the redding .008 shell holder . so I'm actually sizing my brass .002 more to be able to chamber it easy . Jim
Old 09-05-2009, 06:39 PM
Silver Member

Being that I have the FL die set up for my rifle now, can I get brass to resize correctly for my rifle if it has been shot out of another rifle?
Old 09-05-2009, 07:46 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker1 View Post
Being that I have the FL die set up for my rifle now, can I get brass to resize correctly for my rifle if it has been shot out of another rifle?

with you using a F L die , I think you will be able to do this . only do a couple and try them , before you load a bunch that don't fit . or the other gun could be chambered a little shorter than the first gun . in this case you will not be bumping the shoulder when you resize it , the first time . Jim

Last edited by jimbires; 09-05-2009 at 07:50 PM. Reason: spelling