Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Sendero 300 Ultra Velocities

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2007, 03:23 PM
Platinum Member

My Beta Master Chrony registers 3147 fps with 200 AB and 92 gr RL 25.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:45 PM
Platinum Member

I'm not clear as to how you conducted your comparisons. You used 3 different rifles, 3 different people loading ammo @ 3 different locations w/different equiptment, and shot over 2 different chronographs.

That's enough variables to account for all kinds of results.

I had an occasion to shoot the same load, from the same rifle, on the same day, through 2 different chronographs. The results were a consistent 100 ft/sec different. The Chrony always gave readings of 100 ft/sec faster than my Oehler 35P even when I put the Chrony directly behind the Oehler and fired a single bullet over both chronographs. This was on a mid-summer day with temperatures @ 70-80 degrees.

I was concerned enough about this discrepency to ship my Oehler 35 and the screens back to the company to verify the instruments accuracy. Oehler stated that it would be "nearly" impossible for the Oehler to be off that much because it has 3 screens and 2 clocks by which it verifies the velocity. They tested the unit anyway and determined that it was very accurate, consistent, and well within their tolerances.

I can only assume that the Chrony was consistently inaccurate and the data derived while using that chronograph would be highly unreliable. However, it belongs to my buddy who continues to use it and relies on its output.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:48 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for your thoughts. It has been a little confusing trying to track three different setups, however the only difference we know of in our loads is that tjbill is using Nosler brass. I'm thinking the results I got yesterday with the Betta Master Chrony are pretty accurate and are close to what others here have experienced. I'd love to shoot the 200 AB with that 94g load of RL25 at 3200 but the large (40fps) ES has me worried for long range work. If the weather breaks soon and I can shoot at 500 yards I should be able to tell based on verticle dispersion. If it really is that large I'd like to cut that down (try different primers, or ?)but am not sure where to start. What do others feel is an acceptable ES for 1000 yards?

POP - I'm wondering if you recall what your ES was with your 92g RL25 load with the 200 g Accubonds?

One other thing - we've all noticed in our Senderos that if we try to load 3 cartridges into the magazine the first round chambered tends to want to jump up and get out of alignment with the bolt face, sometimes trying to bind. We're thinking we'll have to settle for two rounds in the magazine while hunting. I was wondering if the Wyatt box magazine others mentioned here would help with that. Not to mention it would be a step in the right direction towards the .338 Edge.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:11 PM
Bronze Member

load some Rotumbo and i think you'll be suprised i use only this powder in my 30-378 and my 338-378Wby magnums and it is a very consistent powder and it has been my experiance that it will show a 70-100fps increase in velocity over other powders.

NRA Life Member.

The only thing common about common sense is it ain't that common.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:47 PM
Platinum Member

"I was wondering if the Wyatt box magazine others mentioned here would help with that. "

I can only get 2 down with the Wyatt's controlled center feed box.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl