Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Seating primers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 10:25 AM
Gold Member

Re: Seating primers

I uniform all my primer.pockets.. yet i am still getting this in my 338 lapua mag.. they do not seat flush anymore.so i have to see whats going on
Old 01-08-2013, 04:42 PM
Gold Member

Check the depth of the setting on the uniformer cutter. Check the depth of the skirt on the primer cups. Even sitting a primer on the uniformer can give you an idea if it's not cutting deep enough.
Measure the depth of a primer pocket that your are not having trouble with , that uses the same primer and compare.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:00 PM
Bronze Member

Great, thanks, but the problem isn't consistency, these are all very consistently protruding too far with new brass, once fired, etc. Is this one any better/worse than the rcbs/hornady case preppers that have the same shape tool?
Old 01-08-2013, 11:49 PM
Bronze Member

So I pick up some Federal large rifle magnum primers as I have read how many people really like them and sure enough, they do seat in at least flush to where the brass does sit level and not rock like the CCI's and Remingtons both did.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:07 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huge29 View Post
So I pick up some Federal large rifle magnum primers as I have read how many people really like them and sure enough, they do seat in at least flush to where the brass does sit level and not rock like the CCI's and Remingtons both did.
I have a feeling that your primer pocket uniforming techique could be poor or the cutter is not square enough on it's cutting points and is leaving a radius in the bottom edge of the pocket . A good pocket is dead square to a sharp corner in the bottom of the pocket. A mistake many make is not stopping frequently to brush away the swarf .
If you do that you get to the full depth of the cutter .
I have never used anything except Sinclair and had no troubles.
Primers brands do vary in skirt ( cup) length by as much as .004 across the range . I don't see how a primer could rock even if it's not all the way down.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet bumper View Post
I have a feeling that your primer pocket uniforming techique could be poor or the cutter is not square enough on it's cutting points and is leaving a radius in the bottom edge of the pocket . A good pocket is dead square to a sharp corner in the bottom of the pocket. A mistake many make is not stopping frequently to brush away the swarf .
If you do that you get to the full depth of the cutter .
I have never used anything except Sinclair and had no troubles.
Primers brands do vary in skirt ( cup) length by as much as .004 across the range . I don't see how a primer could rock even if it's not all the way down.
I use the K&M pocket uniformer chucked in an electric screw driver. With a Federal primer seated into crush the distance below the face always shows at about .004" to .005". Now I do the same test with the priming device mounted on my Forster press, and I get exactly the samething.

Now another poster here has commented about the hight of the primer verses the depth of the counterbore. I see his point, and plan on doing some serious checking to see if I'm all wet or actually getting it right.
gary
Old 01-09-2013, 10:06 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
I use the K&M pocket uniformer chucked in an electric screw driver. With a Federal primer seated into crush the distance below the face always shows at about .004" to .005". Now I do the same test with the priming device mounted on my Forster press, and I get exactly the samething.

Now another poster here has commented about the hight of the primer verses the depth of the counterbore. I see his point, and plan on doing some serious checking to see if I'm all wet or actually getting it right.
gary
It sounds ok to me. The main thing is getting the primer to bottom in the pocket. This way the anvil is on solid ground. It does not matter much where the face of the primer is after that as long as it's below or even flush with the head of the case.
If the anvil has to move a few thou to contact the base of the primer pocket it's a slow ignition and also potentially a miss fire .
I would not describe the correct feel as a crush. It is more of a sudden stop to the feel of the movement seating and pressure. It's the softly seated primers that give most of the trouble.