Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Seating primers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 11:56 AM
Gold Member

Re: Seating primers

What im saying though is my hand held primer tool is botteming out when i seat the primer.. so i cant seat rhe primer in any farther.. so is this a prob with my tool maybe??
Old 01-07-2013, 12:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaseyfied View Post
What im saying though is my hand held primer tool is botteming out when i seat the primer.. so i cant seat rhe primer in any farther.. so is this a prob with my tool maybe??
depends on where the primers ends up at when seated. Ideally it should be in the .005" area below the face. Perhaps a check with a depth micrometer would be needed to see if they are shallow.
gary
Old 01-07-2013, 12:39 PM
Platinum Member

If the priming tool is bottoming out on its stroke, and the primer still isn't contacting the bottom of the primer pocket, then yes, there's a problem with the tool itself. Something out of adjustment, no set up correctly, whatever. Try seating these primers (the ones you've already got seated, but are still protruding) on another tool. Benchmounted, the press itself or another hand tool, just try another tool and see if you can't seat them the rest of the way down. I'm betting you can.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:44 PM
Silver Member

I'd say the priming tool is at fault..

I use a Lee hand prime and havent looked back yet.

One thing that hasnt been mentioned is the feel of the primer when it seats 'lightly' into the pocket. You DEFINITELY want to know how 'light' is TOO 'light' so you can discard the case for an over-enlarged pocket.

ps. Also, I 've had WLR primers seat as much as .012" UNDER flush with LC brass. Crimped primers will have an issue too, I would definitely (by my standards) not want to prime without a hand tool in that case.

Lever.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:29 PM

This may sound strange but, I have several Lee Hand Primers. When I got them over the years, I took a measurement of how much of the seating pin comes through the shell holder. I trimmed the pin for lg. rifle,small,and pistols.
Through the years all primers are seated correctly and haven't had any issues.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:50 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
This is the same way that I was taught by my dad . He has always used the RCBS press and taught me to feel the cup as well . Another way is set them down on a flat surface and if the primer is high the case will rock around a bit before settling down but I prefer to feel the top pf the cup like you are doing .
So, what do you do if they are rocking a little bit? I am newish to reloading (but, have read the Barnes and Lyman manuals cover to cover) and this only happens on the magnums. I have a 7mag and 300 WSM and I see the same issue on both, but no issue on 243, 30-06 or 223. I know they should sit in and not flush, but these are above flush to rock like they do. I use the RCBS hand priming tool and press it all of the way in. I tried the Remington magnum and the regular CCI primers and same result on both. A friend suggested that I make sure the rod seating the primer had the flat end against the primer and the round end down, which has always been the case, but does not seem to improve, I can appreciate a potential safety issue, not to mention some possible accuracy issues. What else is there to fix? Thanks for any input guys!
Old 01-08-2013, 03:11 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huge29 View Post
So, what do you do if they are rocking a little bit? I am newish to reloading (but, have read the Barnes and Lyman manuals cover to cover) and this only happens on the magnums. I have a 7mag and 300 WSM and I see the same issue on both, but no issue on 243, 30-06 or 223. I know they should sit in and not flush, but these are above flush to rock like they do. I use the RCBS hand priming tool and press it all of the way in. I tried the Remington magnum and the regular CCI primers and same result on both. A friend suggested that I make sure the rod seating the primer had the flat end against the primer and the round end down, which has always been the case, but does not seem to improve, I can appreciate a potential safety issue, not to mention some possible accuracy issues. What else is there to fix? Thanks for any input guys!
You will not get consistancy or good feel until you uniform the primer pocket first
Precision pocket = better seating feel .
Get this tool and a small electric screw driver , Read " screw driver " NOT drill .
Sinclair Uniformer Kit with screwdriver adaptor | Sinclair Intl