Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Seating primers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 07:42 PM
Gold Member

Re: Seating primers

So i have a question.. how far should the primer seat into the pocket.. should some extend passed the pocket.. or should they all be inside the primer pocket.. i have a hand priming tool and i also use a primer pocket uniformer.. so i know my pockets are uniform.. any help wilk be good thanks
Old 01-06-2013, 08:47 PM
Platinum Member

Kaseyfied,

You're sort of focused on the wrong end here; the bottom of the primer's the important part. Take care of that, and the base of the cup will take care of itself.

You need to make sure that the primer is fully seated in the primer pocket, with the anvils flat within the pocket. You want a bit of a "pre-load" on the compound, slightly crushing it to sensitize it properly. Do this, and you'll find that the cup is now seated several thousandths below the case head in a properly dimensioned case. In practice, I usually wind up holding the case inverted, between my thumb and middle finger, and drawing my index finger across the now seated primer. You should be able to discern a noticeable "dip" as the finger passes over it. Given just a bit of expereince with this, you'll develop a thoroughly educated sense of touch that will tell you that the primer is seated correctly, or in need of some extra attention.

What you really want to avoid, especially if you're loading for a semi-auto, is any sort of primer protrusion above the case head. Misfires at best, slam fires at worst, and a host of other problems in between those extremes should you fail on this account. Check 'em, make sure they're below the case head and well bottomed within the pocket. Do that, and you're good to go!
Old 01-06-2013, 08:50 PM
Platinum Member

All primers should be bottomed in pockets, and all should rest below the casehead (not protuding from).

Last edited by Mikecr; 01-06-2013 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Oops, after Kevin
Old 01-06-2013, 09:41 PM
Platinum Member

How far below the casehead????
Old 01-06-2013, 10:23 PM
Platinum Member

Call it .004" to .006", ballpark guestimate.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:59 PM
Gold Member

well I am usin lapua brass for my 338 lapua mag.. and my primers go byond the case head now.. thatswhy I ask I know tey need to fully seat on the bottem.. but at the same time I should not have my primer above the case head.. its weird.. and like I said I fully compress the hand priming tool from rcbs.. and I still happens.. driving me insane really.. I use a sinclair primer pocket uniformer.. so I am at a loss I guess.. and it happens with cci, match and standard federals..

kasey
Old 01-07-2013, 09:32 AM
Platinum Member

Kasey,

Not sure what the issue with the Federals might be, as they usually seat quite easily. The CCIs, however, are well known as being among the "largest" primer on the market, perhaps a few tenths larger than most other brands. They're usually a bit harder to seat than say, Federals or Winchesters. I've known shooters to switch over to CCIs to gt an extra firing or two out of brass in which they'd stretched primer pockets. NOT recommending this, merely saying, I've seen it done. Either way, they DO tend to need a bit more force to seat than other brands.