Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Seating deeper to reduce pressure

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2008, 09:53 PM
Bronze Member

A sticky bolt alone may or may not be a sign of a pressure issue. Do you know for a fact that the cases didn't make the bolt sticky before you reloaded them? An improperly set resizing die can also cause a sticky bolt before even shooting the cartridge (learned this from personal experiance). If you have no other pressure signs it may be something other than over pressure. Do yo have any of the other high pressure signs? As far as where to start from Max when working up a load Bill Hober from Swift Bullet Co. told me personally that he and Swift recommended only dropping back 3gr from max to start working up a load. I used to go back to 10% but I only go back 3gr from max now and it saves a lot of time, powder and bullets when trying to work up a load.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:36 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp475 View Post
If you are seating into the lands, then seating a little deeper can indeed lower pressure..

True. I didn't think of that because he didn't mention it...good thing you did.