Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Seating Consistency w/ CO-AX and Redding Comp. Die

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2014, 11:33 AM
Silver Member

Re: Seating Consistency w/ CO-AX and Redding Comp. Die

Once cases are trimmed as needed, and assuming that no neck turning is done and a FL size is not needed, can you clarify the order of steps?

Is it expand with a mandrel (such as what would be used if you were turning necks), then neck size? i.e. you expand and then bring back down to size?
Old 05-16-2014, 11:45 AM
Silver Member

I turn my seater back slightly for every bullet seating. The most consistent seating I get is with new brass and I still see a few thou so I just dial every one of the bullets in. Once fired vs twice fired use to make a big difference when my loads were at max.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:09 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Oregonian View Post
Once cases are trimmed as needed, and assuming that no neck turning is done and a FL size is not needed, can you clarify the order of steps?

Is it expand with a mandrel (such as what would be used if you were turning necks), then neck size? i.e. you expand and then bring back down to size?
Other way around. Size first, expand second. This is what happens when you use a die with an expander ball installed as well. The expander ball is the last thing to touch the case neck.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:46 PM
Platinum Member

There are a few reasons we should always expand before seating bullets, and as mentioned an expander mandrel is best for this(Sinclair's expander die sys).

Expansion:
-Pushes thickness variance in necks outward for straighter seating/lower loaded runout.
-It injects energy into brass that will try to release over time(back to balance). This release is called springback,, it's all that is gripping bullets,, and it continues over time. It's conservative to leave springback strengthening bullet grip over time(well, trying to), rather than weakening(much easier). When you downsize necks as the most significant action(rather than expanding last), springback is outward away from bullet grip.
-By expanding to ~1/2thou over cal, springback will provide plenty of bullet grip without excess seating forces. This allows best seating depth consistency.

You can pick a bushing that leaves the ideal interference fit without further expansion action, but this leaves greater seating force variance, especially over time. So it's best to pre-expand necks before seating.

Hope this makes sense..
Old 05-16-2014, 02:18 PM
Silver Member

Makes sense...I have Redding comp dies and a Froster coax on the way, as well as a sinclair neck turning kit, so I have all the tools to do what was suggested. Appreciate the insight.