Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Seating Consistency w/ CO-AX and Redding Comp. Die

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2014, 04:15 PM

Seating Consistency w/ CO-AX and Redding Comp. Die

I can't wrap my head around an issue I experienced this morning. I thought I'd share it with the Collective before I re-visit my bench.
I'm reloading 300win mag using a CO-Ax and Redding Comp S Seating Die. I use the fixed shell plate w/ a Redding #6 shell holder-
20 pieces of brass are sized, trimmed
208gr. A-max's( not sorted)- I'll sort next batch, never had issue before..

Seating Die prepped w/ dummy to seat the 208 at 2.767 to Ogive- Confirmed several times.
Die free floats in the press... set screw holding die in slot adjusted to min.(just enough to keep the die from sliding out.

Seated all bullets- same technique- checked measurement w/ digital calipers- +/- .003 on all 20 rounds-- 2.764-2.770...

Verified measurement on dummy- 2.767- calipers ok
Inspected Die- no visual issues..
Bearing Service and Meplat should not be an issue- die contacts bullet just above Ogive..

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Mike

Old 05-15-2014, 06:16 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Seating Consistency w/ CO-AX and Redding Comp. Die

Variance in neck tension can cause this. Seater plug wedging is dependent on tension.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
Variance in neck tension can cause this. Seater plug wedging is dependent on tension.
Thanks, that gives me a place to start- I did feel some resistance in a few of the cases. I had to bump the shoulder back on a few of the cases which were already primed. Ran them back through the bushing die but probably got sloppy- I'll pay more attention next time.

Mike
Old 05-15-2014, 09:18 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
Variance in neck tension can cause this.
I agree. Had the same problem because I sized and expanded cases in a large batch and then let them sit for about 1 month. Try expanding just before seating. Maybe cases are ready for annealing?
Old 05-15-2014, 10:49 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill123 View Post
I agree. Had the same problem because I sized and expanded cases in a large batch and then let them sit for about 1 month. Try expanding just before seating. Maybe cases are ready for annealing?
New to reloading here...what you said makes sense but brings to mind a question. If you are not turning necks, would you expand the necks? And if you were tuning necks, would you neck size after turning, or neck size, expand, and turn?

If expanding the necks without turning, would you expand and then neck size? Or neck size and them expand?

From what I have read, the only time you would expand the necks is prior to turning, but curious to hear about your method if it is different.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:29 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Oregonian View Post
New to reloading here...what you said makes sense but brings to mind a question. If you are not turning necks, would you expand the necks? And if you were tuning necks, would you neck size after turning, or neck size, expand, and turn?

If expanding the necks without turning, would you expand and then neck size? Or neck size and them expand?

From what I have read, the only time you would expand the necks is prior to turning, but curious to hear about your method if it is different.
I remove the button in the sizing die and use an expander as a separate step. It is supposed to control runout more effectively. It is also better to use an expander if you use a bushing die. Check out the articles toward the bottom of the page in the Reloading section here for a complete explanation:The Rifleman's Journal: Articles Index

Another great resource is Zediker's book Handloading for Competition.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:25 AM
Platinum Member

You're going to expand necks no matter what. This, with either bullets or a hardened expander.
-Soft bullets wiggling off the end of a seater plug are terrible expanders-

Where you want low runout, and consistent seating, you pre-expand necks prior to bullet seating.