Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Seating bullet depth

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2014, 02:33 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Seating bullet depth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp6x6 View Post
When Barnes bullets where first out in earlier days,since it was new as a mono metal type bullet. They used to have a note printed in box on slip of paper as not much on seating bullet, They use to recommend to go 2/3 the bullet caliper for seating as a min.
Very interesting sp6x6.Thanks for the info!

Old 03-02-2014, 06:07 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp6x6 View Post
When Barnes bullets where first out in earlier days,since it was new as a mono metal type bullet. They used to have a note printed in box on slip of paper as not much on seating bullet, They use to recommend to go 2/3 the bullet caliper for seating as a min.
Quote:
Originally Posted by baydog View Post
Very interesting sp6x6.Thanks for the info!

here is the info sp6x6 is talking about .

Old 03-02-2014, 06:25 PM
Gold Member

If I'm loading a new bullet for the first time, then I always do a little "discovery" to see if the magazine is going to limit the OAL or if it is the chamber/throat. So on the first one I load, I load it to the MAX OAL that I know the magazine will feed. Then chamber it to verify whether it is touching the rifling or not. If it is already touching the rifling, then I continue to seat progressively deeper until I reach the point that I can chamber it without shortening OAL.

I make note of this dimension to know to always stay under that value, otherwise you have the risk of sticking a bullet in the rifling and leaving it behind when unchambering the round. That can make a mess or blow up your rifle, depending on the next action you take (don't try chambering a second round behind it !!!)

The Savage centerfire magazines are very generous for cartridge length, much more so than AR type magazines, so often it is not the magazine that limits the OAL, but the chamber.

Depending on the bullet, optimum seating depth is usually from a few thou off to as much as 0.030" so knowing where contact occurs is a good starting point. I will find a good barrel/charge node first, then fine tune seating depth, then possibly fine tune load a bit more.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbires View Post
so your saying a bullet seated in the case .010 is good ?WOW ha ha ha
So, you're saying you're a reloading expert that didn't know some cartridges have necks shorter than caliber and, by default, your reading or logic comprehension converts that to 10 thou? WOW ha ha ha
Old 03-02-2014, 07:19 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtube View Post
So, you're saying you're a reloading expert that didn't know some cartridges have necks shorter than caliber and, by default, your reading or logic comprehension converts that to 10 thou? WOW ha ha ha

your the expert .
Old 03-03-2014, 08:15 AM
Bronze Member

[QUOTE=jimbires;927019]here is the info sp6x6 is talking about .

[/QUOTE

Wow Jim there it is in black and white. I understand this is a starting point but this is at least a good safe starting point for depth..Great info !
Thanks Jim

baydog
Old 03-04-2014, 09:46 PM
Bronze Member

Ok this what I got going on. Trying to get to know this new gun. It's a new Sendero 300 RUM..To some it ain't so big but to me it's a big ass gun And I'm trying to ease myself into the guns full potential and gain confidence in the gun and myself shooting it. Been asking a lot of questions and everyone has been very helpful and I thank you all for answering them..For the last 5 days I 've shot 5 rounds through the gun each day. I know I'm going catch hell for using the load that i have been shooting but like I said I'm trying to get to know the gun and gain confidence in the gun and myself shooting it...I used 94 grain of Retumbo powder and I had a open box of 165gr. Sierra bt. bullets and wanted to use them up and work my way up to the 200 gr.Nosler Accubonds I plan on being the load I stick with. I have a box of 180 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip That I 'm going to use up too while experimenting trying to find a load that works best for me and the gun. The picture with the least amount of holes in it is @ 50 yards to get the gun zero in on paper. That target had 5 rounds thrown at it. Then I moved back to 100 yards and that is the picture with all the holes in it. I shot 5 rounds a day for 4 days at the same target, so it's suppose to be 15 holes in that target. Some holes were shot through a couple of times. The OAL to the lands is 3.747 but i had to sink the bullet in to 3.600 so the cartridges would fit in the magazine. The holes in this target that have a small circle around them are all 165gr. bullets with 94gr. of Retumbo with a OAL of 3.600 but the holes with a small line pointing at them were shot the last day. The difference in the last day and the last 5 bullets are that i seated the bullets in deeper .50 making the OAL 3.550 and this OAL seemed to shoot higher and more consistent group. So what I've learned from this is that some Bullet Jump turns out to be a good thing to me where I thought it would be a bad thing and always tried to get as close to the lands as I could. I'm sure I'll find that some guns like it close and some don't but this one seems to like some Jump. So now I believe I have a better understanding of bullet depth and having to hammer it out for each gun and probably each bullet weight for the gun...So now I'm hoping to tighten my groups up now by trying different amounts of the Retumbo. So I guess it's back to the hammer to find the sweet spot for powder to tighten my groups up....Am I anywhere close to being right as far as now to tighten my groups it will take a fine tuning of the amount of powder to use??..
Thanks for your time and help

baydog
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Seating bullet depth-ncm_0396.jpg   Seating bullet depth-ncm_0397.jpg