Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Seating Bullet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2008, 09:53 AM
Platinum Member

Keep the same "reference" bullet in a small tube marked for use later. Sinclair int sells the tubes cheap. As bullet ogives vary, it is important to use the same bullet to measure each time to monitor any change.

BH
Old 03-15-2008, 09:12 PM
Gold Member

The easiest method I have found,is to make a long dummy round,no primer or powder,just in case the bullet jams in the rifling,no powder to clean up if it does.You will need to do this with each different style of bullet you intend to use.
Soot the bullet with a candle,and chamber the round,the bullet should be pushed back into the case,with about .020"-.050" of the shank into the lands.Repeat this,by seating the bullet in your dies,until a sooted bullet comes out with no rifling marks.Measure OAL at this point,make a note of it,and then with another fresh bullet/case,wind out your seating stem one full turn,seat the new bullet/case at this measurement (RCBS/Redding) this will be equivalent to .036".This should be in the vacinity of .030" off the lands.Do not soot this bullet yet,chamber,make sure there are no rifling marks,and continue.Seat deeper,by 1/8 turn at a time while chambering each time,as soon as you touch the rifling again,back out 1/8 turn and measure,make a note,this should be about .005"-.006" off the lands.By comparing the two you can get your OAL just right.
Soot that bullet,and see if there are rifling marks ALL around the shank,if they are only on one side that means the ejector is tipping the bullet to one side.By adjusting your seating stem with small turns,1/8 is fine,you should be able to get the bullets just touching,say .005",or just missing.
KEEP this dummy round as a reference,and you can adjust the seating stem to whatever distance you want into the lands or out of the lands.
If this fails,you'll have to get an ogive comparator from Sinclair etc.
MagnumManiac
Old 03-22-2008, 12:34 PM

Seeing as I've been reloading for close to 45 years, and did not have the advantage of having all the tools I could have used in my beginning stages, I did it the old fashioned way.

I would dummy load a bullet long, light up a candle & smoke the bullet black. Then load, and reload into the chamber utill the lands stopped engraving their marks into the bullet.

At that point, I would play with the adjustments in & out in very tiny adjustments, until I found the most accurate load.

Yes, trying different bullets took a lot of fiddling around, but eventually one found a very accurate load.

Richard