Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

**sd and es load advice**

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2009, 02:27 PM
Platinum Member

Re: **sd and es load advice**

Quote:
Originally Posted by nheninge View Post
Shooting 3 shots and saying you have great ES and SD is a poor statistical analysis of your data.
I agree and should have been More thorough. What I suggested will get you to a "potential" load. You should always verify/confirm your initial findings.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:44 PM
JEREMY logan

I thought everyone shot 10 shot strings when using their chrony to get the sd and es data. I shoot 3 shot groups @100yrds for load dev. Then i try 5 shot groups with the same load just trying to save on primers and powder all that i can. Once i get the chrony figured out using the old cheap 22 rifle i'll start shooting the rum thanks for all the advice keep it coming i'll try whatever it takes to get the best out of my rifle. My goal is to be able to hit in an 8'' to 10'' steel disc @ 1000 yrds consistantly i want to be able to place the shot in the kill zone the first time :d
Old 05-16-2009, 07:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEREMY logan View Post
I thought everyone shot 10 shot strings when using their chrony to get the sd and es data. I shoot 3 shot groups @100yrds for load dev. Then i try 5 shot groups with the same load just trying to save on primers and powder all that i can. Once i get the chrony figured out using the old cheap 22 rifle i'll start shooting the rum thanks for all the advice keep it coming i'll try whatever it takes to get the best out of my rifle. My goal is to be able to hit in an 8'' to 10'' steel disc @ 1000 yrds consistantly i want to be able to place the shot in the kill zone the first time :d

When you doing your development(3 shots step up the charge, 3 shots step up the charge) you want to see good grouping and good speeds. All you are doing at this point is trying to narrow down a charge weight. You'll know when it happens. Write down the velocity of each shot. You will get big ESs on a majority of your 3 shot strings, but when you hit the charge weight your gun likes the ESs for that/those 3 shot strings will be low. Now go back and load for your 5 -10 shot confirmations and see what you get for ES/SD. Once your here you can mess with seating depth or primers or what ever. Know that if you change seating depth or primers it may require you to adjust the powder charge too. Primers are different heats(for lack of better term) and bullet depth in the case changes pressures. Take some pics if you get confused and post them. You can already see(by this thread) there's lots of people will to help. Between your data and all the cyber analists on this message board you'll find something that works.