Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Savage 338 lapua bullet setback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 09:17 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Savage 338 lapua bullet setback

On my first post I made a mistake, and can't edit it. The sizing button might be oversized. I believe you should have .002" less diameter of the case mouth for hard recoiling rifles, so the expander button should be .336". Measure the case mouth ID after sizing it should be .336 if not the expander button is over sized. You might have better luck using a bushing die. Also, atleast a .338" portion of the neck should be sized. Call RCBS and they can help you with the problem. Good luck.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:56 AM
Bronze Member

Hey there,

I agree with hand loader1, sounds like you are not getting enough neck tension becaus your expander button is too big... You could try polishing it down a thousandth or 2and see if that helps.... Or better yet get a bushing die and do away with the sizer button altogether....
Also as others have recommended don't crimp non-canalured bullets

Orch
Old 10-20-2012, 11:26 AM
Bronze Member

I know not to crimp non-canalured bullets, I was just trying it to see if it helped. Can anyone recommend a good bushing die? Been working and hunting so I have not had time to take any more measurements. Thanks for all the replies, keep them coming.
Ok, did some more reading. Might give Lee a call on monday and have them make me a set of dies. I measured my expander on the RCBS die and it measured .336". What are you guys using for polishing down the button?

Quote:
Originally Posted by orch View Post
Hey there,

I agree with hand loader1, sounds like you are not getting enough neck tension becaus your expander button is too big... You could try polishing it down a thousandth or 2and see if that helps.... Or better yet get a bushing die and do away with the sizer button altogether....
Also as others have recommended don't crimp non-canalured bullets

Orch

Last edited by countryrebel; 10-20-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:16 PM
Bronze Member

Looking forward to what you do to correct this problem as I just ordered a new Savage in 338 LM.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:55 PM
Platinum Member

I was at the range the other day and put a couple of rounds in the mag of my FCP. Didn't have any setback. I'm sizing my neck to .365, and using 300 Bergrrs seated to .030 off the lands with Lapua brass. I wll say that it's important with any heavy recoiling rifle that you make sure you don't keep the same rounds in your mag and continue to load new rounds into the chamber. The bullets in the mag can set back, or you can break the plastic tips off bullets like the Accubond with repeated firings.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 10-22-2012, 08:55 AM
Bronze Member

No repeated use of rounds, just one firing will push them back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
I was at the range the other day and put a couple of rounds in the mag of my FCP. Didn't have any setback. I'm sizing my neck to .365, and using 300 Bergrrs seated to .030 off the lands with Lapua brass. I wll say that it's important with any heavy recoiling rifle that you make sure you don't keep the same rounds in your mag and continue to load new rounds into the chamber. The bullets in the mag can set back, or you can break the plastic tips off bullets like the Accubond with repeated firings.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:02 AM
Bronze Member

I had really good luck with my reddng bushing die
It was the full length sizing bushing die model.... Can't remember the model number but its in their catalog...
As for polishing the resized button I used 600 grit sand paper chucked the button in my hand drill and carefully turned it down a thou on a 308 die set I had... Sure it's no lathe but it worked fine

Orch