Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Savage 111 LRH 6.5-284 Loading Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 02:53 PM
Silver Member

Re: Savage 111 LRH 6.5-284 Loading Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentM View Post
Still struggling to find the answer to why the speed has anything to do with the barrel life. I had way more pressure issue's with 4350 and 4831 than I do with retumbo.
You are burning more powder than i was with with your loads regardless of the pressure signs or lack of. Speed will increase pressure,therefore increased barrel wear/heat. I hope you don't find out the hard way as i did. It may not make sense but that is the reality of it. You pay for what you get unfortunately. any way,enjoy your rifle. Besides, a barrel is an expendable item. Easily enough to replace so go shoot that rascal and keep me informed as to how it is doing. I really loved mine. Too bad it was a short love affair. Shoot bug holes as i know it will,mine did. ........SEMPER FI!
Old 02-07-2013, 03:44 PM
Platinum Member

Your point is understood about more powder can be more pressure, which equals higher speed. What I don't understand yet is how other rifles, the 260 included, push the same basic bullets at the same velocities or higher, and there are no complaints about life. Or a 7mm flinging lead at 3100-3200 with 70 grains or whatever. This is an area that seems confusing to a lot of us and we struggle to "get it". At least I do.

I read something a month back that showed were the 260's were getting similar velocities to the 6.5-284. From what I could see from the article is that the 260's were being pushed really hard to keep up wih the 284. Is it correct to assume the 284 is just going to have less barrel life simply because the case holds more powder, therefore burns more powder. The 260 will have a longer life simply for the opposite reason, independant of speed and pressure?

BTW- according to the Berger book I am on the low side of the powder amount. I am prettty sure they go up to 58.5 grains of Retumbo. Again, not sure that matters. I recall one of my books, lyman perhaps, lists pressure values per given powder amounts and types. The 6.5-284 is not in there as the book is older.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:21 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Your point is understood about more powder can be more pressure, which equals higher speed. What I don't understand yet is how other rifles, the 260 included, push the same basic bullets at the same velocities or higher, and there are no complaints about life. Or a 7mm flinging lead at 3100-3200 with 70 grains or whatever. This is an area that seems confusing to a lot of us and we struggle to "get it". At least I do.

I read something a month back that showed were the 260's were getting similar velocities to the 6.5-284. From what I could see from the article is that the 260's were being pushed really hard to keep up wih the 284. Is it correct to assume the 284 is just going to have less barrel life simply because the case holds more powder, therefore burns more powder. The 260 will have a longer life simply for the opposite reason, independant of speed and pressure?

BTW- according to the Berger book I am on the low side of the powder amount. I am prettty sure they go up to 58.5 grains of Retumbo. Again, not sure that matters. I recall one of my books, lyman perhaps, lists pressure values per given powder amounts and types. The 6.5-284 is not in there as the book is older.
You are on the right track. Large powder charges burn longer in the barrel. Not a lot but enough. I read somewhere,can't remember where, that the flame temp. got up to 1700 degrees when ignited. Only for a short time. So lets assume now that a large amount will keep that temp. longer than a smaller charge will. Do you see what i mean? All these SSM and SUM cartridges suffer the same fate. You and i do not know what our pressures ACTUALLY are without some sort of pressure gage. I have no access to one as i'm sure you probably don't either. So we have to rely on what the signs show us. What i am saying is if you were to back it down to lets say 2800-2850 you may increase the life of the barrel and may be as accurate or even more. And given the fact that the 6.5x284 has a problem with that dreaded carbon thing going on,makes it all the worse. I wish i had not bought mine because now i want another one. Guess i am a glutton for punishment but i really enjoyed it's accuracy and speed. Enjoy yours for as long as you can. It is a great one! ..........SEMPER FI!
Old 02-07-2013, 05:37 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks. After this one is shot out I might go 7LRM or keep the caliber and go proof research barrel. I have a couple of years of shooting and time to work it all out. I have a friend building a 7LRM so I will get a chance to see it in action before I do anything. It is a ton of fun hitting targets that you can only really see with good glass. Rewarding.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:35 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Thanks. After this one is shot out I might go 7LRM or keep the caliber and go proof research barrel. I have a couple of years of shooting and time to work it all out. I have a friend building a 7LRM so I will get a chance to see it in action before I do anything. It is a ton of fun hitting targets that you can only really see with good glass. Rewarding.
Yes BrentM: LRM would get you out to no mans land. I have a.280 Rem for hunting from years past and the 7MM bullets are good for LR. Some of the BR guys are using 7-08 for their game. they tend to lean on it hard also. Barrels mean nothing to them as they swap at least 1 a year. I should be so lucky! Speaking of Glass, what is your flavor? I have NF NXS & BR. I hope i did not come on too strong as this was not my intention. Keep in touch, i am intrested in hearing about your outcome. ...........SEMPER FI!
Old 02-07-2013, 08:17 PM
Silver Member

I worked on my load some more today. Tested a few more lengths and charges. At 50.2 it shot well no sticky bolt, primers still slightly flattened. At 50.4 grains of 4831SC the bolt began to tighten up. Still easily functioned but could feel some stiffness. So I backed back down to 50.2 and played with the depth a little more. I settled on 2.94" COL. I cleaned the barrel between groups and noticed one thing. The first shot consistantly hit between 1/8-1/4" higher than the following shots. The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th would all stack on top of each other measuring about 1/8" center to center of holes. I'm guessing at that because it was pretty much unmeasurable. Just a ragged hole.

So my final load for now ended up as :

50.2 grns 4831SC.........140 grn VLD......2.94" COL....group size .33" (including the clean bore shot that hits high)

Not sure of the velocity. Will try to get that this weekend and update this. Thanks for all the help.

My brake wa free til about the 20th shot. Froze now like everyone said it would. Don't plan on turning it off anyways.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:47 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootnMathews View Post
I worked on my load some more today. Tested a few more lengths and charges. At 50.2 it shot well no sticky bolt, primers still slightly flattened. At 50.4 grains of 4831SC the bolt began to tighten up. Still easily functioned but could feel some stiffness. So I backed back down to 50.2 and played with the depth a little more. I settled on 2.94" COL. I cleaned the barrel between groups and noticed one thing. The first shot consistantly hit between 1/8-1/4" higher than the following shots. The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th would all stack on top of each other measuring about 1/8" center to center of holes. I'm guessing at that because it was pretty much unmeasurable. Just a ragged hole.

So my final load for now ended up as :

50.2 grns 4831SC.........140 grn VLD......2.94" COL....group size .33" (including the clean bore shot that hits high)

Not sure of the velocity. Will try to get that this weekend and update this. Thanks for all the help.

My brake wa free til about the 20th shot. Froze now like everyone said it would. Don't plan on turning it off anyways.
Congrats my friend. You should be very pleased with that type of shooting. I had no doubt as to whether it would group tight for you. I'm happy for you. Let me know your velocity readings were. Are you close to the lands with the VLD? Keep in touch,will be waiting for future development from you. ............SEMPER FI!