Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Savage 111 LRH 6.5-284 Loading Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 04:36 PM
Silver Member

Re: Savage 111 LRH 6.5-284 Loading Questions

My stock had a small evenly formed lip about 1/8" wide that went across the end of the forearm. So the barrel was evenly contacted all the way around at then end of the stock. Looked very purposely formed that way. Just took 1 minute of less to dremel it down even to the rest of the Channel and then it was nice and evenly freefloated.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:21 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootnMathews View Post
My stock had a small evenly formed lip about 1/8" wide that went across the end of the forearm. So the barrel was evenly contacted all the way around at then end of the stock. Looked very purposely formed that way. Just took 1 minute of less to dremel it down even to the rest of the Channel and then it was nice and evenly freefloated.
HI ShootnMathews, if you have trouble after the freefloated barrel,have a look at the Tang. This too should be free of the stock. .............SEMPER FI!
Old 02-05-2013, 09:52 PM
Silver Member

Thanks. I didn't know the tang should be floated also. Since its setting right beside me I just checked it. A once folded dollar bill wil slide all the way around the tang so ill call that good. Thanks again.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:34 PM

I also have the LRH 6.5-284. Before pulling the trigger I noticed the barrel was not free floating. Pulled the stock and notice that the aluminum bedding block had plastic flashed over from the overmolding process. If you feel a soft (or less than hard stop) when torquing down the actions screws you may well have the same issue. I took a razor along the top edge of the bedding block, the plastic did not adhere to the aluminum so it pulled right off. I replaced the barreled action, screws torqued with a hard stop (as they should), the barrel was free floating.

Scott
Old 02-06-2013, 02:45 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootnMathews View Post
Thanks. I didn't know the tang should be floated also. Since its setting right beside me I just checked it. A once folded dollar bill wil slide all the way around the tang so ill call that good. Thanks again.
I bought a .280 Rem. back around 1980. It too had a pressure point near the fore end. I, like you, always like mine free floated. I, like you, removed the pressure point. Big mistake! The thing would not shoot. I wound up Glass bedding the action and the fore end. It will to this day shoot 1/2 to 3/4 @ 100 yds. This was a Rem. L/A though with a buggy whip barrel. It is the only rifle i have that is not free floated. Just goes to show you that there are individuals that like to be different! Good luck with with the Savage, as i have no doubt it will perform the way you want it to. Oh by the way, before i go, i bedded my Savage F-Class receiver with DEVCON ALUM. PUTTY on top of being pillar bedded. Just another thought for you in case??? I wanted to have 65 in. pounds at the front instead of the 40 recomended by Savage. You can call Savage for your particular specs. got to go now. Good luck and shoot bug holes. .....SEMPER FI!
Old 02-06-2013, 06:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargesniper View Post
I bought a .280 Rem. back around 1980. It too had a pressure point near the fore end. I, like you, always like mine free floated. I, like you, removed the pressure point. Big mistake! The thing would not shoot. I wound up Glass bedding the action and the fore end. It will to this day shoot 1/2 to 3/4 @ 100 yds. This was a Rem. L/A though with a buggy whip barrel. It is the only rifle i have that is not free floated. Just goes to show you that there are individuals that like to be different! Good luck with with the Savage, as i have no doubt it will perform the way you want it to. Oh by the way, before i go, i bedded my Savage F-Class receiver with DEVCON ALUM. PUTTY on top of being pillar bedded. Just another thought for you in case??? I wanted to have 65 in. pounds at the front instead of the 40 recomended by Savage. You can call Savage for your particular specs. got to go now. Good luck and shoot bug holes. .....SEMPER FI!
One thing I found with a few Savages I own is that the Allen heads on the stock bolts can strip out at too much over 45#. Quality control of these screws appears poor. Also the Accustock bedding block cradle is flexible along the sides of the receiver iftighened
over 40#, the trigger group can jam. If additional bedding were used on the Accustock, careful attention would have to be given to the bedding depth of the action and I would still be be cautious about going too heavy on the torque, at least on the rear bolt, and likely the front, if it's one with the wedge design. IMHO.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 02-06-2013, 08:53 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
One thing I found with a few Savages I own is that the Allen heads on the stock bolts can strip out at too much over 45#. Quality control of these screws appears poor. Also the Accustock bedding block cradle is flexible along the sides of the receiver iftighened
over 40#, the trigger group can jam. If additional bedding were used on the Accustock, careful attention would have to be given to the bedding depth of the action and I would still be be cautious about going too heavy on the torque, at least on the rear bolt, and likely the front, if it's one with the wedge design. IMHO.
Good point Greyfox. I was thinking of my F-Class stock which is laminated wood with aluminum pillars. I am not familiar with the Accu-stock.As for the stock screws, i have had no issue with them at 65 in. pounds. I also bedded it with DEVCON ALUM. material. and it is working fine for me. Thanks for the info. ........SEMPER FI!