Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Savage 111 LRH 6.5-284 Loading Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2013, 08:09 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Savage 111 LRH 6.5-284 Loading Questions

I put together a guage last night and measured my old cases and compared to the new. I am pretty sure my pressure issues have come from too tight of a head space and therefore the testing on the seating depth is likely NULL and VOID.

Old cases measured 1.914 to 1.917 and new cases 1.884. I have a wilson body die that it is intended to be run touching the shell holder. Mind you, I have no clue what my actual chamber measures but the old cases are not easy to cycle. I just set the die up and body sized the cases with the intended shoulder bump. The resized cases measured 1.906 to 1.908. I believe the 908 cases are a result of the case growing slightly as they are squeezed into shape. ?? Those are likely the cases that had the higher pressure issues. I think I will resize the entire lot at this point and cycle. The ones giving me a bolt throw resistance should probably be culled out for good.

At this point, I need to go back and test again. My rifle still likes the 56.5 gr and .100 off the lands with 210m primers. I shot 1220 yards on Sunday and the pattern was very good. I would like to be able to go back to 57.5 grains and get back to 2970-3000 with no pressure issues and no flyers. I have a feeling my flyers came from inconsistent head spacing and some created more pressure and therefore wider ES.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:25 AM
Platinum Member

The approach that I have found that works for me is to measure the headspace of a once fired case using my standard load. I then set my FL or Body Dye to size headspace .0015"-.002" shorter than this length. I will generally only neck size for a few loads until I feel some slight resistance closing the bolt. Than I will size with my FL or body dye. This process can vary for a each rifle/load combo. Some rifles may require a FL resize after every firing, some go for 4-5 firings. Stiff loads seem to rewuire FL sizing all the time. The most important thing is that there be very little, if any difference in velocity, accuracy, or ES, between a neck sized and FL sized case. If there is, I will FL size only.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 10-22-2013, 10:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
The approach that I have found that works for me is to measure the headspace of a once fired case using my standard load. I then set my FL or Body Dye to size headspace .0015"-.002" shorter than this length. I will generally only neck size for a few loads until I feel some slight resistance closing the bolt. Than I will size with my FL or body dye. This process can vary for a each rifle/load combo. Some rifles may require a FL resize after every firing, some go for 4-5 firings. Stiff loads seem to rewuire FL sizing all the time. The most important thing is that there be very little, if any difference in velocity, accuracy, or ES, between a neck sized and FL sized case. If there is, I will FL size only.

This is where I failed. Everything was rock solid, then bingo, issues showed up. I have a Redding body die now, used it last night and will continue my neck sizing via bushing. I also failed to properly measure and record a once fired case. I thought I had taken one case and put it my reloading tool box, but alas, I can not find it. I usually make up a case with all the right dimensions etc and mark it with the load info so I always have reference to go to. This reference case is gonzo. Probably an old man moment and used it for something else.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:43 PM
Silver Member

Shot mine some this weekend. First time since I lapped the rings and torqued the scope on. It wasn't shooting as tight as it was. I think the barrel was just fouled. It had about 50-60 rounds through it since the last cleaning and I noticed it was opening up some the last time I shot it. When it was shooting its best 3 shots would be touching at 200 yards. So less than 1/2" at 200. This time it was more like an inch at 200. I gave it a pretty good cleaning Monday morning. I have to say it was really dirty. I hope it tightens back up now. I did not do the box test or tall test since it was not grouping like before. Will try that this weekend
Old 10-22-2013, 07:32 PM

Brent I measured my once fired cases and they all average 1.922, and unfired lapua brass measures the same as yours 1.879 That is much longer than i expected does this mean that my riffles chamber could have excessive head space issues? After partial neck sizing they chamber just fine no bolt stiffness... Just wondering if this could be the culprit for all the fliers I am getting... I have not been able to get back to the range to check groups yet and probably wont until next week some time after the deer hunt ends.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:59 PM
Platinum Member

Well I am of thinking this is likely. A test would be to bump them back and see. That is the direction I am headed. A variance in the pressure ha shown up on the chrono too which makes me think the tolerance is too tight on some cases. I resized the entire lot and culled out about 40 cases that chambered with some pressure. The rest all felt good.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:44 PM
Bronze Member

I just want to say thank you to everyone participating in this thread. this is the most informative thread i have seen. I learned a lot to help me with my new purchase savage 111 hunter with the 24" barrel.

I will take the info here to help me get started with the round. got lucky and picked up some retumbo when i bought the gun and i have berger 140's and barnes 127 lrx to try-- want to use the 127 on a africa trip if i can get them to shoot.

thanks again for the wealth of info here. I am sure i will be posting up questions of my own before too long.