Conclusive that the bullet seated to the lands and handled with ultra care has not grown or moved off center. However if you run the bolt and extract the cartridge without firing the bullet will move off center considerably due to the force the extractor puts on the bullet as the bullet contacts the inside of the action. If I held the case in the neutral position and kept the bullet from contacting the action it remained centered.
At 2.584 OAL the bullet is seated .002 into the lands. Multiple extractions has not revealed any OAL growth.
Conclusions for me are that you have to be careful with the cartridge, there is enough tension to keep bullet from being pulled out of the case, and of it works then run it.
Thanks for the info Brent. I went to the range last week before I headed elk hunting for the weekend and my results were still not looking good. I loaded 10 rounds .005 into the lands and still had fliers, 3 shots at .25" then two were 1" plus away at 100 yards for both 5 shot groups. I also loaded up 5 140 A maxes at .070 off and shot them just to test another bullet and they shot ok no fliers but just under 1" at 100. My best group was the last one I shot I followed GreyFoxs advise and did not clean this trip I had 48 rounds down the pipe and shot The last three rounds i had loaded and the group was amazing .196" center to center at 100. The load was berger 140 vld, 56.5 grains retumbo, lupa brass, fed 215m primer, seated .070 off. I will try to get to the range tomorrow to confirm but it seems my riffle likes to be shot dirty. All of my load testing up till now has been on a clean bore, with fliers at every depth/load change. Hopefully shooting it dirty will be the one thing i have overlooked as deer season starts saturday and i still dont have a load i'm confident with...
I have not yet concluded yet how many rounds my 6.5 needs to settle down. I do know it likes a fouled barrel. It took me two days to strip out my barrel and my first shot was 2" left, fouling round. After that every bullet from all the different combos was still within 2 MOA at 100. I shot a 4 shot group with current load and then a few test rounds for FPS education. Then I shot 565 and 725 yards for some fun in the horrid wind to see how I did on wind calls. My groups were fine and the rocks were DOA. Back to the paper for my last FPS test with my remaining 5 rounds.
This picture shows 2 groups. The bottom left group is one test, POA was the .5 MOA black square, one load had a higher FPS for some reason. The second group, upper right is a 2 shot group, POA was the upper right bullet hole from the 1st group. I didn't expect this test group to impact close to POA, or I would have picked a different spot. Wind was horrid so I am not sure this a conclusive test, but hey it's something right? LOL.
This is with a Magnetospeed. Group size with with 210's is .25MOA, 215's is .25-.5MOA at 200 yards.I get about 30 FPS more with 57.5,gr, same accuracy, no pressure signs. This is with my 26" Cooper. My Savage LRH produces very similar results with the same loads and seating depth.
"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Bolt lift is a little stiff. Not horrible but noteable. I have small round extractor marks on the case edges and the primers are not so much flat but the crater has a nasty lip. 215s have more edge the 210s with same powder level. At 55.5 the crater edge is small.
I am not sure what the difference is in our rifles other than the 2" difference in barrel length.
I might test a little more but I only have 1 lb of retumbo left and have not been able to locate any locally for months. Might have to hang up testing and just run the 56.5 at .100 off with 210Ms and accept the 2900-2910 speed with some pressure signs. The fps spread is more than it should be but the bullets fly well. It seems to be consistently shooting .25MOA.
Loaded some more for loads for deer season in two weeks. The loads at 52.7 grns of 4831SC shoot pretty accurate. I remounted the scope after lapping the rings and torqued the screws to spec. So now I need to rezero it at 200 yards and do a 20 x 10 MOA box test. That way I can see if its tracking properly. I had the rings way tighter before, than when I used the torque wrench this time. Hopefully that was the problem. I also loaded a group of Retumbo at 56.5 grains. The last ones I tested at 56 grains shot 5/8" at 200 yards. I also measured my brass after trimming. I use a lee trimmer btw. 2.164" was the average with some being 2.163 & 2.165. I will let you know how the Retumbo loads come out and the box test.