Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Savage 111 LRH 6.5-284 Loading Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2013, 08:58 PM
Gold Member

Re: Savage 111 LRH 6.5-284 Loading Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighCountryMulies View Post
ShootnMathews I have a model 116 heavy fluted 6.5 284 and have been following this and another thread started by another member since January when i bought the gun. I Like you have been having a hard time getting rid of fliers it will shoot 2 .25 or less and one 1" plus away at 200 yards. the flier is random sometimes its the first shot sometimes its the second or third. I have tried everything on this thread except loading into the lands without success. My question is have you shot your load with ammo in the mag and tested runout and seating depth after a shot or two. I am worried seating into the lands or at the lands for hunting is not going to work for my gun as the bullet will not be seated deep enough to keep everything straight and consistent with recoil.
HCM
I have loaded rounds from the mag to make sure the feed properly. I also have loaded a round and extracted it multiple times and the measured it to see if the bullet was being pulled out any. It fed fine and there was plenty of mag room. It also did not change the length while extracting it. There were contact marks on he bullet confirming that it was "into" the lands. I have not fired rounds with rounds in he mag and then checked them. But I feel confident that they won't change. With the brake on this gun the recoil is comparable to my AR and with the jamming, extracting exercise I have done I think they'll be ok. One day I will do a recoil test. I will post the results when I do. If jamming a few is the only thing you haven't tried, I'd give it a shot. Load one 5 shot group and see what it does.

SM
Old 10-09-2013, 06:20 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighCountryMulies View Post
ShootnMathews I have a model 116 heavy fluted 6.5 284 and have been following this and another thread started by another member since January when i bought the gun. I Like you have been having a hard time getting rid of fliers it will shoot 2 .25 or less and one 1" plus away at 200 yards. the flier is random sometimes its the first shot sometimes its the second or third. I have tried everything on this thread except loading into the lands without success. My question is have you shot your load with ammo in the mag and tested runout and seating depth after a shot or two. I am worried seating into the lands or at the lands for hunting is not going to work for my gun as the bullet will not be seated deep enough to keep everything straight and consistent with recoil.
I have done some work with seating into the lands with the 6.5x284 and checking for alignment/condition of the rounds loaded in the magazine. Depending on your chamber, if a round that is loaded onto the lands has .1-.2" into the case the bullet will hold it's runout and not move on recoil. You may have to size the neck .01-.02 tighter than you would normally use with deeper seating though. If the bullet doesn't move when the loaded round is pressed against a wood bench you should be fine. The bigger issue is keeping the same rounds in the mag without rotating them. Even with a brake, the bullet tips will deform after a couple of firings with some rifles. A piece of electrical tape on the forward portion of the mag box helps.
As to the fliers. The Bergers are sensitive to seating and your gun may respond to seating into the lands. How many rounds do you shoot before cleaning? I have had a few rifles that need to be well seasoned before setting down. I just went through a situation similar to yours with a 260 Savage LRP. After 20 consecutive rounds down the pipe the fliers ceased and .25 MOA groups settled in with no fliers. I'm at 200+ rounds and they are still holding.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 10-10-2013, 04:16 PM
Platinum Member

FYI- I measured the bullet depth into the neck of the case with the bullet seated to the lands. I have .105 inches of bullet seated in the neck. This is actual bearing surface, the part of the bullet that is going to be held tight by the neck. This is precisely why seating depths less than .25 is not going to work for my savage.

The other thing I was reporting is OAL has not changed at all. OAL on my rifle with the 140 VLD is 2.582. This was the number new, this is the number now, just under 600 rounds. This does not mean my throat is erroded or not, but it not bad news anyway.

After 6 firings my case neck thickness is almost the same as an unfired Lapau piece and length is just under max at 2.168-2.169 for the bulk of the 100 pieces.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:49 PM
Gold Member

Brent
That measurement must be to to ogive. Can you measure a few to tip. I don't have a comparator. I measured to the lands with one bullet and used that one bullet to set my die. And I don't check or adjust my bullets. Just seat them and they differ slightly to the tips
Old 10-10-2013, 04:55 PM
Platinum Member

It is to the ogive. Base to tip is around 3.13X I think I measured it last night to see if the 6.5 SIN round would load in my mag.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:03 PM
Gold Member

Ill have to check mine when I get home. I think it is 3.233"
Old 10-10-2013, 07:10 PM
Platinum Member

Averaged 6 at 3.140. +or - .003