Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Savage 111 LRH 6.5-284 Loading Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2013, 12:13 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Savage 111 LRH 6.5-284 Loading Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootnMathews View Post
One of these days I will buy that Hornaday guage.

Greyfox. Please elaborate on how you can check the throat and what cause the throat to eat up. I'm new to these super calibers.

Also I'd love to hear some of everyone's cartridge lengths to tip of bullet. It sounds like mine may be much longer. Which is probably why I have near no pressure signs with 57.3 grains of Retumbo.

Once I get this thing all dialed in and my shooter program calibrated I'll order a CTS label for the turret for my residing area since this is where 90% of its use will be. After that this rifle will be lucky to see 50 rounds a year. Most likelY more like 20, so throat erosion and barrel burnout aren't really high concerns of mine. This will be my long range hunting rifle.

Most of my long range shooting is with a Mosin Nagant that I built as a tinker toy. I really enjoy shooting it, it's my go to LR fun gun. It shoot 1/2-3/4 MOA pretty consistant and really I thing shooting this round at long range makes me a better shooter. You have to be twice as accurate at judging wind and distance because of the fast drop and heavy wind push. Here's a pic of my fun gun.
You have really spruced that Nagant up. Impressive!! When using calibers like the 6.5x284 and many of the magnums with lots of powder and an overbore design(small bore size fat case), the throat of the barrel gets eroded from the excessive heat and wear from bulllet entry. You loose the rifling at that end of the barrel. This can be observed when you again check your seating depth either with a gauge or, a bullet that you initially measured the distance to the lands. When this distance gets excessive you could see a change in your accuracy. I just had a 270WSM that lost its accuracy and the distance to the land increases about .100". This occured after about 800 rounds fired. Sometimes you can get your accuracy back for a while by seating your bullet out further if it's feasible. Some will actually cut and rechamber the barrel to ellinate the eroded portion. Most of the time it means a new barrel. Hope this helps to explain it.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 09-19-2013, 07:00 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
You have really spruced that Nagant up. Impressive!! When using calibers like the 6.5x284 and many of the magnums with lots of powder and an overbore design(small bore size fat case), the throat of the barrel gets eroded from the excessive heat and wear from bulllet entry. You loose the rifling at that end of the barrel. This can be observed when you again check your seating depth either with a gauge or, a bullet that you initially measured the distance to the lands. When this distance gets excessive you could see a change in your accuracy. I just had a 270WSM that lost its accuracy and the distance to the land increases about .100". This occured after about 800 rounds fired. Sometimes you can get your accuracy back for a while by seating your bullet out further if it's feasible. Some will actually cut and rechamber the barrel to ellinate the eroded portion. Most of the time it means a new barrel. Hope this helps to explain it.
Thanks Greyfox. And thanks for the explanation.

I did shoot my 6.5-284 at 500 yards yesterday to see what my drop was. I don't think my vortex is tracking right. In some earlier posts I have read one fellow said one of his vortexes wouldn't track right and the vortex rep said to loosen the ring screws and torque them with a torque driver. In other words, he tightened the rings too tight. After doing this his tracked perfectly. I honk this may be my problem. My rear ring is almost right against the turrets and I just tightened them by touch. Think I may have them too tight so I just broke down and ordered a good scope mounting kit.

After way more shots then I wanted to shoot I finally got it where I was hitting near center at 500 yards. Shooter program adjusts my velocity to 2905 fps with the velocity calibration feature. This was with my 4831sc loads.

Ill run all of this again after I remount, resight, and get back to the 500 yard range. The kit I ordered has the ring alignment tool, and lapping bar so ill just go through the whole mounting process since I did not before. Im new to he long range stuff. Only a couple years in. Ive always just screwed everything on and tightened it up. Supposely using all these tools and lapping he rings helps the scopes accuraccy. Maybe this will fix the tracking problem. I have faith that torquing it will because that's what it appears the problem is. Impact will stay in the same place with only a click or two of adjustment then jump too far after another click or two.

Anyways. Will tell you more in a week after I get it all done.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:07 AM
Platinum Member

You could try a box test. 10L, 20 down, 10 right, 20up. Creates a box and the cross hairs should be dead on after doing the little box to the original starting point.

Once the scope settled down where the groups tight? 2900 is still pretty decent. I was able to get 2900 with Berger 140 VLD and 4831 at 54 gr. This yielding .63moa. However, I was shooting target VLD's and this lot was crap. There were 3 different bearing surfaces lengths in the lot and they varied by .030. I never shot hunting vld's with 4831 as I gained a lot more speed and good accuracy with the retumbo. I guess my rifle likes it. who knows.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:43 AM
Silver Member

When the scope settled the two groups i shot were not bad. One measured 1.57", And the other 2.18". Again that was at 500 yards dialing 6.75 MOA from a 200 yard zero. I think I will save ammo until the scope mounting kit gets here. After I lap the rings and remount the scope with the proper torque spec I'll rezero it at 200 yards and do a box test to see if it tracks better. I am confident that it will.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:01 PM
Silver Member

Well yesterday I was able to get out and test the retumbo loads I had made up. I was shooting at 100 yards and all my loads were above my calculated turret velocity. I have a turret that was made up at 2845fps on my rifle. What I thought might get me to that velocity did not. I was shooting 56.7grain of retumbo. It was reading 2863fps and duplicating it well. So it looks like I need to go slightly lower. Good news is I tried retumbo at the max Berger book load of 58.5grains and it was at 2973fps. So a little over 100fps with nothing that looked bad for as pressure. It might be worth investing in another turret next year. Another good thing is the previous load that went south on me during the heat now came back in because it was 45* degree when I was shooting. Also I checked my chamber COL with one of the hornady gauges and it is 3.200inches. This is the entire length of the ammo. I tried 50 thousands of jump and my gun did not like it. I went back to the 100 thousand of jump and I was back to .5 inch at 100yrds. So as the temps slowly climbed I decided to have a little fun and try some shooting at distance. I'll be the first to say I need practice. From what I could tell Iím about 1MOA at 600yrds. I did not hold for any wind and it was variable with some gust. The rock had some bullets marks to the right. Wind was coming from the left. I forgot my wind meter and my windage card. I was shooting across a large draw the dropped about 500 to 700 feet according to the GPS. So in all Retumbo looks very promising. But for this year before hunting season I may get out once more doing some testing but if not I can shoot the other powder. It may lose some velocity due to cold but it seems to be ok from 40 to 65 degrees from what I have experienced. I think Iíll still try to get out with the decreased retumbo load for some more testing. I think the retumbo would shoot close to the same velocity even if itís down around 30 degrees. Iím been shooting out west of the valley here in Utah so I donít have to make the long drive down to Price like I was making. But I really do love the range at Price it first class and I get to set up the chrono and test loads there also. Banging the steal target is lots of fun also, especially with the sound they repeat back with. So probably this year Iím setting my farthest distance to 600yrds. If I kill something over 405 yards that will be my longest kill and this year it all about putting some meat in the freezer. So I do have one question. How many of ya'll are using mag primers with the retumbo? I am using the 210match fed primers and not the 215match. I was wondering if the 215 would give a better or more consistence burn of the powder.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:16 PM
Platinum Member

I have used both primers and found that my accuracy and ES are similar between the two primers with Retumbo.. Magnum primers have given me an increase of 50-70 FPS with two different 6.5x284 rifles.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 09-20-2013, 04:20 PM
Platinum Member

I need to test that. I am using 210's right now and have 215's I could test. At the time I was playing with load work up the 210's were being used and I found what I needed for accuracy and stopped messing around. I have a chrono now, so I should get back to doing some testing and see if what differences are noted. It woul be nice to reduce the powder load by a grain and keep the speed. : )

Greyfox, how many reloads are you getting with the 6.6-284. My primer pockets are starting to loosen up. I am at the 6th reload now.