Originally Posted by Greyfox
You have really spruced that Nagant up. Impressive!! When using calibers like the 6.5x284 and many of the magnums with lots of powder and an overbore design(small bore size fat case), the throat of the barrel gets eroded from the excessive heat and wear from bulllet entry. You loose the rifling at that end of the barrel. This can be observed when you again check your seating depth either with a gauge or, a bullet that you initially measured the distance to the lands. When this distance gets excessive you could see a change in your accuracy. I just had a 270WSM that lost its accuracy and the distance to the land increases about .100". This occured after about 800 rounds fired. Sometimes you can get your accuracy back for a while by seating your bullet out further if it's feasible. Some will actually cut and rechamber the barrel to ellinate the eroded portion. Most of the time it means a new barrel. Hope this helps to explain it.
Thanks Greyfox. And thanks for the explanation.
I did shoot my 6.5-284 at 500 yards yesterday to see what my drop was. I don't think my vortex is tracking right. In some earlier posts I have read one fellow said one of his vortexes wouldn't track right and the vortex rep said to loosen the ring screws and torque them with a torque driver. In other words, he tightened the rings too tight. After doing this his tracked perfectly. I honk this may be my problem. My rear ring is almost right against the turrets and I just tightened them by touch. Think I may have them too tight so I just broke down and ordered a good scope mounting kit.
After way more shots then I wanted to shoot I finally got it where I was hitting near center at 500 yards. Shooter program adjusts my velocity to 2905 fps with the velocity calibration feature. This was with my 4831sc loads.
Ill run all of this again after I remount, resight, and get back to the 500 yard range. The kit I ordered has the ring alignment tool, and lapping bar so ill just go through the whole mounting process since I did not before. Im new to he long range stuff. Only a couple years in. Ive always just screwed everything on and tightened it up. Supposely using all these tools and lapping he rings helps the scopes accuraccy. Maybe this will fix the tracking problem. I have faith that torquing it will because that's what it appears the problem is. Impact will stay in the same place with only a click or two of adjustment then jump too far after another click or two.
Anyways. Will tell you more in a week after I get it all done.