Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Savage 111 LRH 6.5-284 Loading Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 03:32 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Savage 111 LRH 6.5-284 Loading Questions

I tried the rod It did not work. I do not have a wooden dowel. I will have to look
Old 09-09-2013, 06:52 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marioq View Post
I tried the rod It did not work. I do not have a wooden dowel. I will have to look
You may want to refer to this article if not already done so before deciding to jam a VLD in a hunting rifle. Good information to know.
Berger Tips for Loading VLD Bullets Daily Bulletin
Old 09-09-2013, 07:00 PM
Platinum Member

I will read that. Thanks!!!! Got it out.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:56 PM
Gold Member

MMERSS
I read that several times and tried that. My personal experience with my first go around with bergers is I could not get my gun to group under 3/4" jumping them. So I decided to try the .010 jam it suggests. Instant 1 hole groups. And jamming it only .010" in my rifle they still extract fine if I don't fire. I even measured it after extracting it multiple times and the length didn't grow at all.

Now my barrel is factory and new. Maybe after it gets broke in better it will jump them better.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:03 PM
Platinum Member

So more info I have figured out. My OAL brass is 2.160 inches. My lapua brass is 2.167-2.172 inches. Empty brass has some diffuculty closing so I think it's not my bullet being at the lands, but the brass is too long. Also, the OAL is supposed to be 2.170 inches according to the drawings.
So I guess I need a trimmer. Any rec's??????

Thanks

Mario
Old 09-10-2013, 08:28 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootnMathews View Post
MMERSS
I read that several times and tried that. My personal experience with my first go around with bergers is I could not get my gun to group under 3/4" jumping them. So I decided to try the .010 jam it suggests. Instant 1 hole groups. And jamming it only .010" in my rifle they still extract fine if I don't fire. I even measured it after extracting it multiple times and the length didn't grow at all.

Now my barrel is factory and new. Maybe after it gets broke in better it will jump them better.
During development for a hunting gun I usually start at .020" jump and increase to .080" after pressure checks. On my Savage it was shooting over 1" at 100 yards. The rounds were loaded up during one of my classes. The last three shots were .005" jam with no loaded round extraction issues. Good results. Charge changes and shot again. Best looking results were loaded with 10 rounds and two five shot stings were shot letting the barrel cool during and between strings. Good results and acceptable ES for the 10 rounds. Not it was off to 300 to start drop charts.

One interesting aspect, this was all accomplished during barrel break in. What I noticed was the first two rounds on a clean barrel appeared to walk. Nothing new for some guns. Extra rounds on a medium load were loaded just to "foul" the gun on a clean bore before shooting for development. I rechecked .020" and .060" jump just to make certain the barrel break in and 3 foul rounds needed was not the issue during initial development. Same results, well over 1" at 100.

With my current loads, three rounds need to be fired on a clean bore before the group settles in. The first round will be over 1" at 100, second about half and third half again. Fourth round on all group. I only clean my guns when necessary or at the end of the hunting season. Otherwise they are sitting in the cabinet with a foul bore waiting for the next time for a trip to the range.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:42 AM
Silver Member

I have the similar issue going on but only with one round for fouling. I'm not sure but I tried a couple of things and it the same results. So I just learning to live with it. One round down the pipe to produce decient results is ok for me. But I do wish my first cold bore shot was the same as the rest. My cold bore shot is slower and always low. So I will be hunting with a fouled barrel this year. Hope to make it to the range possibally today or tomorrow to finish with some testing. Man maybe we need a 6.5 club like the 7mmSTW has theirs because this is a great read for information. As a susgestion It would be a nice to see some 6.5x284 loads posted on the FAQ page.