Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Savage 111 LRH 6.5-284 Loading Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 09:26 PM
Gold Member

Re: Savage 111 LRH 6.5-284 Loading Questions

Well I thought I had it all figured out. Loaded two more groups and shot them. One at 52.7 which shot the best this weekend at one group at 52.8 grains of 4831sc. 52.7 shot the best again with 2 touching and a flyer 1-1/2" away like before. 52.8 had 2 hole 1/2" apart and one 2" away. I don't understand. I'll load some a little deeper and see what those do. These are seat .072" off. I think I'll load a group .085 off and .100" off and see what the do. Ill keep the powder at 52.7 grains of 4831SC since that seems to be the closest so far. Distance was 140 yards again.

Jared

Ps. How often do you clean yours now. Today makes about 25 shots without cleaning. Maybe that's why the flyers. IDK
Old 08-21-2013, 09:44 AM
Platinum Member

The only suggestions I have is the same thing I have been suggesting. BTW- I don't the cleaning is causing it.

Do you have a concentricity guage?
Do you neck size and if so, what is the tension you are looking for?

My suggestion on powder and seating:

Seat .100 off lands and test with powder.
H4831sc. 54 grains was my max load. I would try 52 grains.

IMHO, .01 grains difference in powder is not going to make much of a difference. I think it is a waste of time and powder right now. It might make sense to test 51.5, 52, 52.5, 53, 53.5. One of those is likely going to be pretty good with .100 off. What do you have to lose?
Old 08-22-2013, 09:27 PM
Gold Member

I really don't think the barrel was fouled that bad either but I did give it a quick cleaning anyways because I was the load to shoot well clean. I always put it up clean so when I drag it into the woods it will be clean. It's only got about 120 bullets through it.

I'm going to load and shoot some tomorrow. I don't have a concentricity guage so ill turn it as I'm seating it as you do to hopefully seat it "straighter". I'm going to load some set a little deeper. Around .100 as you suggested. I'm going to try some at the same load I have been because I also suspect it could be a beddin/ torque problem. My torque wrench is cheap junk. As I have been tinkering with it the flyers get fewer and not as far away. So after I cleaned it I torqued it upto 45 lbs. from 40. but on my junk wrench could possible only be high 30's - 40. You never know. Just thought I'd try it before completely changing loads. Even at 45 inch pounds it feels very weak to me. Ill see if it helps.

Thanks again for the help. Ill let you know what happens.

Jared
Old 08-23-2013, 10:36 PM
Gold Member

Well I only had time to shoot two groups. First one was same as I've been testing only with the addition of 5 more lbs on action screws. 4831SC,140 VLD, .072 off lands. First shot was on that clean bore, second and third shots were an inch lower, touching. (Wish I made it a 5 shot group).

The second load was 56.5 grains of Retumbo, .100 off. Shot (didn't measure) like 3" group at 140 yards.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:16 AM
Silver Member

So it sound like you clean between shooting and the first shot my be high or low and the next 2 or touching. I have the same issue. For some reason my first clean bore shot is always different than my dirty bore shot. After one down the pipe to foul the barrel the next 5 or how many ever will group all about .5 inch or better. Its just that first cold bore shot. Yes this sucks because in hunting that is what you want to be your best shot is your first. last year right before hunting season like a day before I took my cleaned rifle out and put one down the pipe. So I started hunting the next day with a fouled barrel. My susgestion is to clean completely and shoot your load. see what happens. Clean again completely and shoot again to see if it is consistence with the first shot about 3/4 or an inch high or low. I cant explain it but this is what my 116 6.5 does. Also mine got better with taken a couple of dry patches before shooting the first cold bore shoot or using a bore snake down the barrel. Someone told me this is residual oil left in the rifling form cleaning. So it sounds very feasible but like I posted below it get better after the first cold bore shot. I think it has gotten a littler better but it now has about 150-200 rounds down the pipe. just my 2 cents.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:54 AM
Silver Member

Question for GreyFox and Brent M. My question is what barrel length do each one of your guns have. I think I read that Brent M has a 116 which I suppose is the 24 inch barrel and Grey Fox do you have the 26 inch barrel on a LRH?
I guess I am hearing the Retumbo is the way to go. I've been using the Hybrid 100V with max load of 49grns at 2844fps. Load was developed at 45 to 50 degrees. The other day I went to the range and it was 85 degrees and my loads were running about 100fps faster and the bolt lift was tight compared to the cooler temps. A lot tighter than I liked and it seem to be an issue. Second question....have either one of you experience a great difference in pressure during shooting in the hotter temps with Retumbo like summer conditions around 80 to 85 degree weather. I had though the Hybrid 100V was a temp stable powder and it is not. So I am thinking of making the switch to retumbo.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wachsmann View Post
Question for GreyFox and Brent M. My question is what barrel length do each one of your guns have. I think I read that Brent M has a 116 which I suppose is the 24 inch barrel and Grey Fox do you have the 26 inch barrel on a LRH?
I guess I am hearing the Retumbo is the way to go. I've been using the Hybrid 100V with max load of 49grns at 2844fps. Load was developed at 45 to 50 degrees. The other day I went to the range and it was 85 degrees and my loads were running about 100fps faster and the bolt lift was tight compared to the cooler temps. A lot tighter than I liked and it seem to be an issue. Second question....have either one of you experience a great difference in pressure during shooting in the hotter temps with Retumbo like summer conditions around 80 to 85 degree weather. I had though the Hybrid 100V was a temp stable powder and it is not. So I am thinking of making the switch to retumbo.
My LRH Savage has a 24", 26" total length with the brake. I originally did most of my load development with the Savage during the summer months(80-85F) working with Retumbo and H4831SC. Both powders proved to be very temperature stable and my velocities stayed the same when used in colder temperatures, 15-30F. I have not experienced pressure issues with Retumbo loaded to velocities in the 2950-3000FPS range. This is usually achieved with 56-58gr using magnum primers(work up from 56gr in .5gr increments). I'd would definitely recommend that you try Retumbo. It's a good powder for the 6.5x284 with 140gr bullets. IMO.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt