Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Savage 111 LRH 6.5-284 Loading Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 11:25 PM
Silver Member

Re: Savage 111 LRH 6.5-284 Loading Questions

No visible copper but I did take so household ammonia and cleaned for about 2-1/2 hours. I know this is not a great copper solvent but does work some. I cleaned until the patches came out with just barely any blue on them. So I hope to remove any large copper deposits without completely stripping it. This did work on a 243 of mine. Went from 2 Moa to 3/8" at 150 yards. So I tried it on this one
Old 03-11-2013, 06:16 AM
Platinum Member

Have you checked the scope? Also, the scope base. The Savage has a blind screw hole in the back which could result in the mount screw being proud. It feels tight, but the base isn't secure. I had to shorten one of my mount screws on both my Predator and my LRH.
With the bedding screws, I would try a group with screws just snugged down lightly by hand, alternating between the front and back screw. The bedding block on the Savage is designed to flex around the sides of the action. If it's too tight, the action's contact seems to be effected, so much so that the trigger, safety can bind up. Just about every Savage I have seen out of the box has the screws just snugged down, probably less then 25#. I had to do this with my Predator in 22-250. The screws are only snugged down lightly, but once I found the right tension, I Blue Loctited them to make sure they didn't loosen up. The groups shrank from an inch to one ragged hole. It's been shooting great for about two years and a few hundred rounds through it.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 03-11-2013, 06:50 AM
Silver Member

My action screws were almost what I'd call loose when I got it. Slightly more than finger tight kinda. Ill loosen them up and try it as soon as I can. Suppose to rain for next couple days. I my sneak some shots in at lunch before rain gets here. I don't think it's the scope. It all seems tight. I'm pretty sure that mount screw did not bottom out and I blue loctited them all as I put it on. I'm thinking it has to be either a bedding issue or barrel issue. Or maybe this gun just does not like bergers and I'm trying to hard to make it.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:55 AM
Silver Member

This is an old thread that I haven't posted on for a while. I've been too busy remodeling a house to work on the gun. Before I put it away this spring I had thoroughly cleaned the bore with bore tech solvent. Shot it some more. Changed the torque on the action screws and shot some more with unsatisfactory results. They were always the same, a couple shots near touching with a couple flyers. I cleaned the bore again and changed the action screws torque again and put it away. Now it's close to season I am making time to work on it some. I had the best results early with 4831 but lower velocities than the Retumbo. So I decided to try more powder with 4831. I also measured the chamber again and set the die at exactly .072" off the lands( like I think Greyfox does) . I decided to jump the powder up and trust everyone elses results. jumped up the powder to 52.5 and loaded a group there and 52.7 and 53 grains. All rounds fired with no increase in pressure signs than he 50.2 grains from the spring but they grouped even better slightly. 52.7 and 53 grouped nearly the same size but the 52.7 had very little vertical deviation and 53 grains was completely vertical. Both groups measured 5/8" at 140 yards. Which makes me pretty happy. Don't know if it was the powder or the torque that helped. I believe it was the torque because of the flyers. Ill load some at 52.8 now and see it they group the same or better without going vertical.

Thanks to everyone that helped me. I now have a rifle hat shoots pretty well and with a little more tweaking I think will shoot great.

Jared
Old 08-19-2013, 12:27 PM
Platinum Member

I had some flyer issues as well. Two things that change it for my rifle was seating the bullets to .100 off the lands, 140 Berger VLDs, and dropping the powder 1 grain. I found the difference between the two powder weights gave very little difference in speed at the .100 off. I originally used 57.5 grains retumbo and to look for a bit better accuracy to eliminate flyers I tried 57 and 56.5. 57 strung impacts verticle and 56.5 was .25MOA at 100. At 200 they opened up in a triangle. I seated to .100 and it has shot .25MOA consistenly at the 200 yard zero and I have a couple of 4" groups at 1000 now.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:28 PM
Silver Member

Wow. That's awesome. Ill load some up and try that. Thanks. Glad yours is shooting for you. I hope I can get mine to do that. That's my dream grouping right now
Old 08-19-2013, 03:00 PM
Platinum Member

It took me a while dial it in but the guys on here have been a big help. My savage is a 116 with a fluted varmint barrel. Stock savage. I am really happy with it and hope you find an accuracy node too. Try jumping the bergers .90 to.115 and see what happens. Also, make sure the bullets are seated inline with casing. If you have a concentricity Guage use it. I rotate my case as I seat the bullet and have found I can eliminate using the Guage now. My bullets are within .002 or less. That has been working for me.