Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Savage 111 LRH 338 Lapua chambering problem?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2012, 08:16 PM
Silver Member

Savage 111 LRH 338 Lapua chambering problem?

Hello,

I recently purchased a new Model 111 LRH Savage in 338 Lapua and am having a problem getting my loads to chamber properly, the bolt will only close to about the 3 o' clock position. My local Gunsmith told me that Savages sometimes have these "tight" chambering issues and that I should just bump the shoulder back, sounded a little strange to me so I wanted to verify before doing so. My currrent load is listed below, thanks for the help.

-Using RCBS FL dies and a RCBS RC Press
-Verified length and weight of brass was within specs, cleaned, lubed and FL sized the brass, chamfered case mouths in and out, uniformed and deburred the primer pockets.

LOAD:
Lapua brass
CCI-250 primers
91.0 grains of H-1000
Berger Hybrid 300 gr.
3.720" OAL

Thanks,
lv2hunt
Old 03-31-2012, 08:37 PM
Gold Member

Re: Savage 111 LRH 338 Lapua chambering problem?

i had the same problem with my 6.5x284 savage lrh... I ended up having to buy forester dies for mine.. the rcbs for some reason did something weird to either the shoulder or neck and wouldnt let the bolt close all the way.. only about 3/4 or so.. are you making sure your backing your full length die off atleast a half turn after you touch the sellholder? you could be jamming the neck a little.. try messing with the location of your die.. just resize a case backing your die out a little and see if your round chambers.. just some things I have tried when getting a new rifle with tight chamber

kasey
Old 03-31-2012, 08:46 PM
Silver Member

Sorry, I should have given that information as well. The die was set on the shellholder than an additional 1/8 turn was given.

lv2hunt
Old 03-31-2012, 10:58 PM
Silver Member

I have the same rifle / cal / and dies and had no issues. Just to make sure you have the die set to be at full "cam-over" on the upstroke? I have used Hornady and Laupa brass with no issues. I load 300 gr Seirra @ 3.681"
Old 03-31-2012, 11:27 PM
Silver Member

I am definitely getting "cam over" on the press just a light one, depth is currently set to the RCBS shell holder on the upstroke and then an additional 1/8 turn clockwise. I have been doing some digging on the board and some say that I may need to go up to 1/2 or even 3/4 turn total to alleviate my chambering / shoulder problem. I have never had a problem with reloading like this before or a rifle this finicky. Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you,
Brandon
Old 03-31-2012, 11:39 PM
Silver Member

Found in another post, I guess I will try this next...

What you need to do is back-light the gap between the die's base and the shell holder, after you've ran the case all the way up into the die.

The Savage chamber is very tight...

If you take a flash light and hold it behind the press, looking at die base/shell holder junction, and see if there is a gap between the shell holder with the case in the die, that'll be of some help.

Most folks just adjust the die to touch the shell holder without the case in the die... but once the press is under a load, the linkage springs a bit and you'll find a 1/32" gap (for instance) between the base of the die and the shell holder, whereas there was no gap when you adjusted the die with no load on the press.

I've loaded for a lot of Savage rifles over the past few years, and they all have tight chambers, and they all require an absolute FL sizing to get the shoulder back enough for the cases to chamber.

so again... check the die base/shell holder union with a flashlight with the case in the die... see if there's a gap. if there is, screw the die down another 1/4 turn or whatever it takes to *just* eliminate that gap.

The cases should chamber easily, and you should be able to close the bolt with one finger...

Dan
Old 03-31-2012, 11:41 PM
Platinum Member

Interesting as I have the same rifle and caliber as you but have been shooting factory loads (and saving up brass of course). I believe I'll go with redding dies instead of my usual RCBS.

I'm wondering if instead of full length resize. can you just neck size as the cases are already fireformed to the chamber???

I always neck size my .223 benchrest instead of FL resize.

Scratching my head as usual........