Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Savage 111 long range hunter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2012, 08:16 PM

Savage 111 long range hunter

I posted a week or two ago about this gun and thought I had everything worked out, I guess not. I loaded 25 shells for the gun last night, today when I tried them in the rifle for fit the bolt was a little tight. When I ejected the shell the bullet was rubbed on one side. I tried three shells and got the same result. Is this a reloading issue or is it a chamber issue? I've had a hell of a time getting it to shoot. I will take it to a gunsmith tomorrow but for now I'm looking for some info as to why this would happen. I thought that I prepped my brass as well as could, but maybe not?
Old 09-10-2012, 05:35 AM

Re: Savage 111 long range hunter

I believe when you resized the shoulder didn't get bumped back far enough. I would try resizing a couple more pieces of brass and trying them in gun before you take it to anybody. You have to turn your die in the press a little farther to bump the shoulder back more. Maybe somebody else will chime in but that's my guess.

Justin
Old 09-10-2012, 09:32 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Savage 111 long range hunter

First thing, buy yourself some factory ammo! See how it shoots, save yourself some money, and save your rifle.....

Then you have a starting point for the rest:

Are you sure you know your headspace?

Use your fired factory brass to-- compare a fired brass to one of your loaded rounds (measurement)....do you have a bump gauge?

Does the unfired round chamber ok, what about the fired brass?

You should also post the load specifics....

However without knowing your brass prep, your OAL, chamber/round, neck seating tension, etc. it's really hard to say.

Again, you can eliminate a lot of variables by buying some factory ammo.....

FUBAR,
Wounded Warrior Alumni