Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Sand Bags and Rice ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2006, 10:15 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Sand Bags and Rice ???

I am a locksmith so I have a constant trickle of used tumblers from locks I have rekeyed. They are solid brass and are about .115" diameter and between .165" and .365" long. They are sort of like brass rice. They make the bags quite heavy. My rear bag is home made and has some design flaws but it does dampen recoil nicely when the poll of the grip is nestled against the rear bag.

You might go to some of the local locksmiths and ask if they have any tumblers saved and if not would they put them in a coffee can for you to pick up in a few months. It shouldn't take long to accumulate enough for a regular rear bench bag.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:31 PM
Gold Member

I guess that we are talking about 2 different types of bags. I thought we were discussing light, carry type bags for field shooting/hunting. For target/bench shooting, sure
bags like yours would be great & I use sand bags. But for light carry bags I fill with poly beads. Rice, Corn & similar items WILL get wet here in AR., esp. if I am hunting in the bottoms. If I go to prone many times the bag will be laying in some water.
Old 03-20-2006, 02:19 AM
Platinum Member

I filled one set of bags with blasting shot and the other with rice.The shot filled bags are very stable but heavy and still dont like water.The bags filled with rice are shot(the damn mice moved in one fall and ruined the bags and made a mess in the reloading room(in just two days).
If you want light put those artsy fartsy beads in them and be done with it.It aint worth messin with etable fillers that could also collect moisture!
Old 03-20-2006, 03:55 PM
Gold Member

I use rice for lots of my bags, most importantly generic shot bags full of rice. I just put them in gallon ziploc bags, and sew them up. Much lighter than lead, and pack quite well.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:19 PM
Platinum Member

I've had three 25-pound shot bags filled with rice since the late 1960's. They've got wet a couple of times but dried out well and still seem about the same as when first put together. Like anything else with good parts well put together: "Works just fine, lasts a long time."
Old 03-21-2006, 07:24 AM

I use rice too. If you tear a bag, getting rice all over yer gun is a whole lot cooler than sand. I got reminded about how nasty sand filled bags are last week at the range. Somebody left this big honkin sandbag @ the only open spot @ the range, and I had to move it. It was tore open(no wonder the guy left it), and I had to clean off the bench before shooting. Sucked.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:42 PM
Bronze Member

One thought on using rice filled bags...you can spray the bag with a canvas waterproofing spray once filled. You may have to spray it every now and then to keep it water-tight, but it sure wouldn't hurt anything.