Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Safety question: Loose primer pockets in new brass.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2006, 11:49 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Safety question: Loose primer pockets in new brass.

Thanks everyone for the input. I will try some other primes an see if this clears up the issue. I have NOT done anything to the primer pockets. I also tried tapping the brass on the work bench and nothing fell out so I think I will be OK for the weekend.

If nobody sees any safety problems then I will shoot the rounds I already loaded [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] and report back on my findings. If the primers fall out after firing I will send most of the brass and primers back to winchester for...

Wait a second. They're closing shop. Why would they care?

Doh!
Old 02-09-2006, 12:21 PM
Silver Member

4ked,

This is precisely why I quit using WW primers several years ago. I am betting if you carefully measure the WW primers and compare them against another you will find they are about .001 smaller in diameter.

I used to use WW primers for everything and never had a "fit" problem. Then (several years ago??) I picked up a new brick from my buddy and they were all small. I went to CCI at that time and haven't tried WWs since.

BTW I did shoot them all up through the years mostly bullet testing. I was suprised at how many of the primers DIDN'T fall out when considering how easily they went in.

Jim
Old 02-09-2006, 12:53 PM
Silver Member

Loose primers can back out under recoil in the magazine and in the chamber when fired. They for sure are different diameters, if only slightly, but I don't like a sloppy fit, won't use them, especially hot loads, you get leakers.

Good hunting. LB
Old 02-09-2006, 03:09 PM
Silver Member

LB,

I agree. That is why I shot them up under controlled conditions, loaded one at a time in chambers that I was familiar with........... not in my Garand. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I was relating my experiences, not recommending the use.

Jim