Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Berger Bullets

Runout problems!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-08-2009, 09:18 PM
Gold Member

Re: Runout problems!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumManiac View Post
Mikecr,

Woods,
I am seating the bullets .181" into the neck.

Cheers.
MagnumManiac.

Sorry, I wasn't specific enough with my question. The bullet grip number I was looking for was the difference in outside diameter of an unloaded round and the outside diameter after seating the bullet. If that measurement changes more than .003" then you could be inducing runout by having to use excessive seating force.

Unread 05-09-2009, 12:39 PM
Silver Member

I had an RCBS Comp. seater die that would induce .005 runout during seating with .002 neck tension. They can be fixed sometimes by throwing them in a creek. If it floats its fixed and if it sinks its hopeless. I learned this from a benchrest shooter.
Unread 05-09-2009, 09:16 PM
Gold Member

Thanks for the replies guys.
I cannot find the problem, I have checked everything.
I am going to send everything back for warranty, and see if a new set changes anything.

I was thinking that if I also get a Redding Type 'S' bushing neck die this might fix the problem also?

What about the Redding Type 'S' bushing neck die set?
This is what I have for my 300WinMag, and it's great, but is it necessary for the 222Rem?

Mikecr,
I haven't measured the necks, but I don't think that's the cause, because runout after sizing is acceptable.
The runout is only measurable after bullet seating.
I am using the Sinclair concentricity gauge.
I am going to order the Sinclair case neck thickness kit in the next couple of days.

Woods,
The neck measures .239" before a bullet is seated, and measures .242" afterwards.
The 'feel' of seating bullets is quite low, they seat smoothly without any need of excessive force. I rotate the case by quarters as I am seating, but the runout still persists.
The bullets also 'pull' very easily, not a lot of force required to extract from the case with a collet puller.
Unread 05-09-2009, 10:37 PM
Silver Member

Are you using a resizing die with an expander button? Try to avoid that by using a Redding S-Type FL resizing die (using neck bushings). Forster and RCBS now also make the bushing type resizing dies that don't need an expander button. You'll be able to control your neck tension with any neck thickness (and it does vary quite a bit). You'll also probably get your runout down to about .001" because you won't be jamming your bullets into the case neck.

- Innovative
Innovative Technologies - Reloading Equipment
Unread 05-10-2009, 01:32 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrywillis View Post
Are you using a resizing die with an expander button? Try to avoid that by using a Redding S-Type FL resizing die (using neck bushings). Forster and RCBS now also make the bushing type resizing dies that don't need an expander button. You'll be able to control your neck tension with any neck thickness (and it does vary quite a bit). You'll also probably get your runout down to about .001" because you won't be jamming your bullets into the case neck.

- Innovative
Innovative Technologies - Reloading Equipment
Larry,
I don't use the expander button type dies normally, but being a 222Rem, I thought it would work fine.
Unread 05-10-2009, 07:24 AM
Silver Member

Measure the neck diameter of your loaded rounds. You want to see uniform readings, and you want to be able to seat bullets without using excessive pressure. Too much seating pressure can distort your cases. If you start using neck bushing dies, you'll have complete control over seating pressure and neck tension. I'll bet you like the improvement in your runout.

- Innovative
Unread 05-10-2009, 09:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumManiac View Post
I haven't measured the necks, but I don't think that's the cause, because runout after sizing is acceptable.
The runout is only measurable after bullet seating.
"The runout is only measurable after seating"
This is the basis for my notion that you have excess thickness variance in your brass.
Just a theory.. Let us know once you actually measure it..