Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Runout increasing when seating

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2006, 08:17 AM
Gold Member

Re: Runout increasing when seating

Exactly [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-14-2006, 07:52 AM
Gold Member

won´t this affect the way the case neck conforms to the rifle??

Abinok, I guess you could avoid the problem by using the mandrel and neck turning afterwards??

That´s kind of what i was thinking with the 300 rum cases I´m preparing.Don´t have a mandrel but running them through the expander should make the neck round, as you suggested, , then turn the necks to diminish neck wall thickness variations; and probably after resising necks with the proper bushing the mandrel should be used again??

it is however curious to see that cases run through the expander have a tight enough neck as to not allow a bullet to be seated by hand, and they have exactly the right size to be turned in a Forster neck turning device with the forster 30 cal. pilot.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:01 AM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]
won´t this affect the way the case neck conforms to the rifle??

[/ QUOTE ]
Nope. The neck will open the same no matter what. Too much variation in neck thickness will cause one side to release earlier than another... but folks could argue all day about how much differance it makes. With .001" variation or less... I don't worry at all, and on closer range ammo, .002" dosen't give nightmares.
[ QUOTE ]
Abinok, I guess you could avoid the problem by using the mandrel and neck turning afterwards??

[/ QUOTE ]
Right on with the mandrel. it pushes any thickness variations to the outside for the tool to wack off. I really like my Lee collet die for neck turning duties. I can turn a mandrel down to whatever size fits the cutter mandrel best, and im good to go! $5 fix... and cheaper than most any other option. Got a mandrel turned down to fit my neck thickness tool as well... for sorting brass to batch... or before neck turning.

[ QUOTE ]
and probably after resising necks with the proper bushing the mandrel should be used again??

[/ QUOTE ]

You could, but its not a requirement. I like to work the body and neck in seperate sizing operations... maybe im weird. with the approprate bushing, and neck turned cases, you could just do it with a bushing and no expander. Making the last sizing on the neck an inside sizing is realy only mandatory on unturned necks with more than... oh... .001" neck thickness variation or so.