Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Run-out help needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2012, 12:27 PM
Silver Member

Re: Run-out help needed

Glenn D. Zediker had an applicable chapter in "Reloading for Competition."
I was in the same boat as you when I got my RCBS gauge. I saw two things happening.
First.....the full length sizing die was constricting the neck to tight.
Second......The seating plug was not deep enough for my long bullets and was tilting the bullets during seat.
Combine both these problems and cases are bending slightly.

My solution was the Lee collet neck die and modifying my seater plug. I used a hand drill, which is a stupid method considering manufacturers will match a plug to your bullets for a small fee.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:13 PM
Bronze Member

Ok I just got back from the bench. I loaded up 6 cartridges and rotated them as I seated the bullets. Here are the results:

Kind of a mixed bag. The measurements were taken on the bullet just slightly past the case mouth.

If I purchase the Lee collet neck die would also need to periodically full size the brass? I apologize in advance for my ignorance on this but the RCBS standard dies are all I have experience with. With winter coming on its a good time to expand my horizons.

Thanks again. Mike
Old 12-23-2012, 04:15 PM
Silver Member

Redding makes competition die sets that come with a collet neck sizer, a full length die, and a precision seater die. It will probably solve the run-out issue but they are expensive. I have a set I use with a 300 WSM and run-out is always between almost .000 and .002. With the majority at .001. The rifle usually shoots between .5 and .6 MOA.

I think a big question though is if your rifle will shoot any better with lower run-out. The run-out gauge I use says that best accuracy is achieved with less than .003 run-out, but I have never tested it. Why not group some of your loadings above and test the results. Group a bunch of the .008 and .009s and the .003s with the .004s and see if there is a difference in accuracy? Then consider going with the more expensive die sets. I would be interested in your results.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farout View Post
Redding makes competition die sets that come with a collet neck sizer, a full length die, and a precision seater die.
No, it includes a body die, micrometer neck sizing BUSHING die, & micrometer seating die.
No FL die,, No collet die..
Old 12-23-2012, 05:32 PM
Silver Member

A Lee collet die is cheap, and any run-out I can measure is from case neck thickness variation. When a case is fired , orsized it becomes nearly the shape of the chamber or die. Perfectly round on the outside. A less than perfect case will now hold a bullet slightly off center (non-concentric). Most brass will be about .002. Neck turned brass are just make the needle bounce from a less than perfectly smooth surface.

As for number of firings between collisions? Don't shoot over max and you'll get quite a few. I'm at six firings on this brass.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:46 PM
Bronze Member

I see Cabelas has a "Lee Collet Rifle 2 die set". is that what I would look for? My family usually ends up getting me a gift card for a stocking stuffer. Mike
Old 12-23-2012, 06:42 PM
Silver Member

That should work. You might find the collet die without the whole set for $20 or so.