Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

run out

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2009, 12:07 AM
Gold Member

run out

I'm get a lot of run out in my case after resizing up 300rum to 338 edge the cases start out with 2-3th after i size them they are 5-8 out. i'm using a co-ax press and redding fl bushing dies
Old 01-11-2009, 05:30 AM
Silver Member

Re: run out

I would not worry about it, i'll bet you will still get good accuracy. When i necked down my 375 rum brass to 338 edge i was getting about 20 thousands runout with 338 rum neck sizing die. The accuracy with that much runout was great. My first group after load development was 3/4 inch at 325 yards. All 100 cases shot shot very good. After the first firing i get very little runout,but in all honesty they do not shoot any better than on mt first firing with a lot of runout. I think a good chamber will make up for a lot of runout. This probably won't be the normal for all rifles, but in my 338 edge runout does not seem to matter
Old 01-11-2009, 06:46 PM
Bronze Member

I agree, shoot them and then resize and see what your runout is. It is difficult to expand the neck that far uniformly. Have you measured neck thickness on these cases? Non-uniform neck thickness causes uneven spring-back which causes runout too. You may need to turn the necks a bit to restore uniformity.

Andy
Old 01-12-2009, 06:19 AM
Silver Member

I check run out when trying to find out why a load will not shoot accurately. Don't check run out when you are happy with a load... it will drive you crazy
Old 01-13-2009, 07:27 AM
Silver Member

Lost Creek--just curious...does your gun have freebore or are you right near the lands with your loads. I sure find it interesting how so many people swear that .005 runnout turns their tack driver into a shotgun and then we have a gun like yours that drives tacks with ammo that wobbly.
I've often thought the trip down a good barrel does much to straighten out something bad we reloaders might have done.....and about 95% of accuracy comes from how well a gun likes a bullet/powder/seat depth combo.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:50 PM
Silver Member

kraky1,

I am using .050 freebore.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:49 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraky1 View Post
I sure find it interesting how so many people swear that .005 runnout turns their tack driver into a shotgun and then we have a gun like yours that drives tacks with ammo that wobbly.
I've often thought the trip down a good barrel does much to straighten out something bad we reloaders might have done.....and about 95% of accuracy comes from how well a gun likes a bullet/powder/seat depth combo.
Couldnt have said it better. A little is ok. Alot is bad.

Fire form the cases then worry about it.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.