Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Rounds per Powder Case

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2005, 12:58 AM
Silver Member

Re: Rounds per Powder Case

Thanks I think i might take a trip to the book store tomorow. I had flipped through a couple of the handbooks but all the ones i saw really did not have a adiquit section to begin with explaining everything. Safty a big thing to me...i've spent some time on my back layed up and i really dont want to go up to that city in the clouds quit yet so.
Thanks
Old 05-26-2005, 01:00 AM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]

This is regardless of the case size. For example: a .22 high velocity rimfire round often develops more pressure than a .44 mag.

[/ QUOTE ]
Please explain a little, however i am going to venture a guess. Is it because of the barrel length.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:12 AM
Platinum Member

7Rum. I type with my two trigger fingers at about 25 words per minute so I rarely beat anyone. I will enjoy this moment for a few minutes.

Two concurring posts can't be bad either. I saw that you have the Lyman kit as a reloading tools base nad I have the RCBS master kit as mine. I think both of our answers are relevant in regards to the different brands.

Robins. I would shy away from progressive presses at this time. When your reloading can't keep up with your shooting you might then take a look at this option. It's almost a given that someone will dissagree with that point but at this point I would look for safety and quality over quantity. Progressive presses poop out ammo fast but there are many things to get set just right and many things to watch for as the loading goes along that might be a touch overwhelming in this stage of your reloading journey.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:16 AM
Gold Member

25 words a minute!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] Wheeww thats smokin compared to me! I might knock out 25 or 30 on a good day I mean really good day! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Yea its good to have input on both kits at the same time. I too would suggest shying away from a progressive until you gain experience.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:20 AM
Silver Member

YOu brought up something i've been woundering about. I know what a single stage press is and a prgressive but what is a turret press. Even better would be if you could take a minute and explain the benifits and disadvantages to the three systems.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:44 AM
Platinum Member

Ok one more quick response then I gotta go. I'm sure others will have some good input as well.

Single stage is often a stronger and more consistant press but the slowest to use when loading a number of rounds. You can taylor your loading process to become VERY ACCURATE.

Progressive presses are fastest when loading a number of rounds but they are more time consuming to set up for a few rounds and tend to be for pumping out bulk loads. The repetition is deceptive in that it seems to be doing the same thing over and over but the loads will be less consistant and with that goes your accuracy gained by quality reloading methods.

Turret presses are a hybrid of both ideas. Some may say it is the best of both worlds and others will say they don't do either job well.

Concerning your pressure of the .22 and the .44. It all has to do with the burn rate of the powder and the relative mass of the bullet compared to the diameter of the bullet and a fist full of other things. And the peak pressure occurs before the bullet has moved an inch (or so) so BBL length has little to do with it.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:45 AM
Gold Member

A turret press is inbetween a single stage and a progressive press as far as speed goes. The turrets have 3 or 4 stations to hold your sizing die, your seating die and a neck sizing die if you have one and if it's a 4 station you can mount your powder dispencer there. The advantage of a turret over a single stage is once you get all your dies set in their locations on the turret plates you dont have to move them again only rotate the turret to the die you need for that operation. The disadvantage is you have to buy extra turrets for different calibers. I personally feel that once a turret design starts to wear your ammo quality will begin to suffer due to the design of the system. I dont know if it's for sure and possibly I'm wrong for thinking that but it won't be the first time.
The main advantage of a progressive is speed and # of rounds you can turn out in less time but it's more complex to operate and for a beginner it may overwhelm you to the point you give up on it. A good single stage press is about the best way to start out in my opinion.

Dangit 4ked you beat me again! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]