Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Rounds per Powder Case

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2005, 11:18 PM
Silver Member

Rounds per Powder Case

I am trying to figure if it is worth getting a reloading set up.
For a 223 how many reloads could I get out of one bottle of powder? Same question for 30-30 and 300 win mag.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:33 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Rounds per Powder Case

There are 7000 grains per pound so if your load is 26 grains you can get 269.23 loads from a pound.

$17.00 for 269 rounds is $0.063 a round for the powder.

7000 divided by load in grains equals loads per pound.
Cost per pound divided by loads per pound equals cost per load.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:42 PM
Silver Member

Thanks,
I am having trouble with my email and cant get a return off to you but it will be on it way soon; dont think me ungreatful.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:12 AM
Platinum Member

Take your time. Computers are strange like that. My email quit loading for 3 or 4 days with no explanation and then started working just as quickly.

If you visit the Midway website and look for winchester bulk bullets for the .223 you will find them to be quite inexpensive if you buy 200 or 500 at a time. The once used mix .223 brass is also very reasonable. You should be able to load a zillion rounds that would fit your needs for accuracy and cost. You mentioned that a good share of your shooting was walking and plinking so you don't need high end components. Your accuracy will come from being able to adjust your powder for your gun.

The big clincher is the initial outlay for the reloading gear. Again, you don't need high dollar dies and what not to meet the needs you described but get a good press and a good scale and don't underestimate the value of a case tumbler. A small to medium sized one will do but it will save you tons of time cleaning your dirty brass. Lastly I would say, with great importance, plan ahead. Buy a system that will let you grow and that gives you good flexibility. Spend the money on the future or you will constantly be wishing you had bought something better.

You will find that you can make up the cost of the reloading gear in money saved over the cost of factory ammo but it might take a few years depending on how much you shoot. The fastest rewards will be (possibly greatly) improved accuracy and the pride of shooting something (or many somethings ) with ammo you made to your choosing for your gun.

And remember, Safety first and consistancy is better than speed. Finding a consistantly predictable load in safe pressures is much better than squirting molten lead at dangerous pressures.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:18 AM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]

And remember, Safety first and consistancy is better than speed. Finding a consistantly predictable load in safe pressures is much better than squirting molten lead at dangerous pressures.

[/ QUOTE ]
How would i find the pressure and know if the loads are safe or not.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:47 AM
Platinum Member

Start by reading the safety section of any reputable <u>instructional</u> reloading manual like the one from Sierra or Speer. Hodgdon makes little recipie books with some safety precautions but the others have instructions and fully explain the propper reloading process. READ THE WHOLE THING. It will tell you what things might indicate excessive pressures.

Next, don't load a single kernell of powder in a case if you don't have a published recipie for it using a very comparable bullet. When you learn more you may want to venture into the area of developing loads from sugested recipies and may even go on to develop loads on your own but for now I would say if you don't read in in a respectable load book then don't trust your vision and/or life to the load.

FYI steel has a tensile strength of about 70,000 PSI. Many rounds generate 40,000 to 50,000 PSI and can climb much higher quickly if you don't follow the rules. This is regardless of the case size. For example: a .22 high velocity rimfire round often develops more pressure than a .44 mag.

The information is available for the reading both here on the internet and in book form. It will be time well spent.

(Did you notice that I didn't give you a quick and easy answer? It is something you should spent some time studying before you start throwing powder.)
Old 05-26-2005, 12:50 AM
Gold Member

You can find loads listed in manuals from different manufacturers and they list starting points and max loads. You generally start at starting points and work up in small increments watching for pressure signs like cratered primers and other signs. Here is another link for a book on the ABC's of reloading that will teach you all the signs and some techniques. The Lyman kit includes their big manual which covers a lot of the basics in the first part of the manual.
Hope this helps!
Dangit 4ked you beat me! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Maybe next time! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]