Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Rounds Not Chambering?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2010, 06:53 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Rounds Not Chambering?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk Chaser View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll start by start by pulling the rounds and re-sizing per Broz's recommendation. Should I be aware of anything or extra cautious while decapping live primers? This will prove to be quite a learning experience that's for sure, I'm just confused as to why the 21 rounds i loaded last Sunday shot just fine and then this go round with the same dies and same set up I'm running into this problem. Thanks again, I hope everything works itself out!
You should be fine while decapping. I would wear safety glasses to be sure and remove powder from the bench area. But I have done this many times and never had one go off.

This is why a redding T-7 turret press is so nice. Once the dies are set to perfection you never need to remove them. Most likely the first time you loaded them the die was a few thousands higher. Plus your brass likely grew a few thous. with the last firing.

You will be fine and back on track soon. Plus if this does cure your problem you have now learned something. Problems are a pain but they always teach me to research and learn.

Jeff
Old 09-17-2010, 09:06 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Rounds Not Chambering?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk Chaser View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll start by start by pulling the rounds and re-sizing per Broz's recommendation. Should I be aware of anything or extra cautious while decapping live primers? This will prove to be quite a learning experience that's for sure, I'm just confused as to why the 21 rounds i loaded last Sunday shot just fine and then this go round with the same dies and same set up I'm running into this problem. Thanks again, I hope everything works itself out!
Some dies are made that the decapping pin can be removed. If it cant be removed, you can sometimes move the whole rod/expander/de-capper up in the die so it doesn't touch the primer. You would still be able to resize the brass but it wouldn't knock out the primer. I don't recall which dies are what way though?

I usually use a hand de-capper myself, better feel of what's happening IMO.

One other suggestion, not really relevant here if the brass fit before the bullet was seated, but it will still be usefull.
I highly recommend an RCBS Precision Micrometer for setting up your FL Sizing die. It will allow you to just barely bump the shoulder back when you resize. The common directions for adjusting the die don't always fit every rifle, and alot of times; the brass is being oversized or undersized for your chamber. The Precision Mic will remedy this, and serves a few other purposes too. It's not expensive.

Last edited by SBruce; 09-17-2010 at 09:21 PM.