Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Berger Bullets

RL22 Temp Sensitivity findings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-04-2006, 06:54 PM
Platinum Member
Re: RL22 Temp Sensitivity findings

From summer chuck hunting loads to the same thing in the depths of winter in a 270Win MV dropped of 130FPS w/RL-22.

Just my experience. ( But it was a dry cold - [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img])
I may be the slowest guy on the mountain . . . . but . . . . I'm on the mountain!

Unread 12-04-2006, 10:17 PM
Gold Member

Thanks for the review,i never thought R22 to be any more temp sensitive than most powders.
The one and only problem I've had with R22 is the lot to lot differences.R22 is the powder that taught me to start low and work up [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] Solved that problem by buying a large quantity of it of the same lot,now I aint got a single problem with my favorite powder [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
Unread 12-05-2006, 01:16 PM
Platinum Member

RL22 shows it sensitivity not in the low ranges but in the upper temp ranges. You might not have a good day working up a upper end load at 75 degrees and then trying to shoot it at over 90 degrees, partiularily upper 90s. Pressure has been known to be through the roof in mine and others experience.

Plus it has a documented record of lot to lot variance with at least one major lot recall for these issues.

IF you get a good lot and IF you buy enough to work up a load and shoot for awhile and IF that load is worked up in the max temp range you will probably be ok. If not, do not be surprised to see smoke coming out of the action, primer cups in the firing pin holes and broken sears when you hit the hot temps.

IF you are going to be in hot temps, work the load in hot temps with RL22 and no issues, go the other way and it could be a fun and expensive day.

That is why MRP is so popular with guys who have been through this and want to shoot RL22 speed powders. Black Hills is now the stocking distributor for Norma powders.

Unread 12-08-2006, 06:56 PM
Silver Member

What Bounty Hunter said.

Temperature sensitivity goes through the roof at about 85-90 degrees.

[/ QUOTE ]

fwiw - I did load development in a 7wsm with RL22 last summer when the temps here in Texas were over 100. Same load is working very nicely now that temps are running in the 30's - 70's. The opposite of that might not be true i.e. can't work up a load in cold weather and then use the same one in the high heat. However, wouldn't that be the case for most powders?
Unread 12-08-2006, 07:46 PM
Platinum Member

I believe what you are saying is the same thought that started the threaed. A RL22 load developed in "warm" weather will be safe in cold weather. I do not believe anyone disagrees with that thought.

If the "warm" weather load of RL22 is a max load it may not be very safe in "hot" weather. Unlike Bounty hunter, I did not break firing pins, I simply had to run a cleaning rod from the muzzle down the barrel into the case and hammer the case out of the chamber - twice in a row before I got the idea to quit shooting for the day. It was about 95 degrees fahrenheit that day[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
The Smokin Fur Rifle Club
Unread 12-09-2006, 08:27 AM
Silver Member
H4831 SC is very close to R#22........

it is a very viable alternative to R#22. I shoot both in a 257 Weatherby with zero freebore.

I believe that Alliant has someone on Crack running the machine that produces R#22...ONLY BUY THIS POWDER IN 5 LB CANS or you are in serious trouble with your load development. Preferably, buy two 5 lb'ers at a time because when you get a new lot#, you are back to square one, peg one on your load development most of the time.
Unread 12-11-2006, 10:38 AM
Silver Member
Re: H4831 SC is very close to R#22........

And RL-25 ain't no better.