Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Retumbo or H50BMG in 32" 300 RUM?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2013, 08:24 AM
Silver Member

Re: Retumbo or H50BMG in 32" 300 RUM?

Tumbleweed, do you mind saying who it was that built your rifle? Obviously he is a excellent gunsmith.

Snohomish Co. Washington
NRA Life Member
Old 09-29-2013, 11:08 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopaka81 View Post
I have had trouble with muzzle blast causing erratic chronograph readings when shooting my rummy. I had to move mine out to 20 ft from the muzzle. I have been shooting us869 in my rifle with 208gr amax. The ES is 8 to 10 fps. I have been unable to find powder(s) here in WA. Glad I'm sitting on a 8lb keg of 869. Wish I had the same for some other powders. Looks like your load is working out wonderfully for you at LR.
I have been placing my chronograph out at 18-20 feet as well. Burning 101.5 grains of powder produces a nice muzzle blast.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:45 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopaka81 View Post
Tumbleweed, do you mind saying who it was that built your rifle? Obviously he is a excellent gunsmith.
Don, I would be happy to. I have been planning this build in the back of my mind for over a year so I pretty well knew what I wanted to do when my other barrel finally gave up. We have a couple of local gunsmiths who are not qualified for this kind of build and the precision I wanted out of the weapon. I am a very anal person and I was looking for someone at least an anal as me when it came to the machining I hunted around for a while and went with Straight Shooter Supply out of North Bend, Oregon. I talked with Shawn several times over the phone and by email and it didn't take long to figure out that their level of precision, pride in their work and knowledge about LR rifles was higher than any I had experienced before. They have the finest in modern precision machinery to get the job done perfectly concentric and true. What I really appreciated was that Shawn was willing to do what I wanted to do and did not try to talk me out of what I had in mind. Shawn's son Brady did the work on my rifle as Shawn was away with some health challenges. I could not be more happy with the machining, attention to detail and overall performance of the weapon. I would recommend them to anyone without hesitation! You can find some pictures of the rifle here:

Full Custom 300 RUM Completed!
Old 09-29-2013, 05:59 PM
Silver Member

Looking over your pics, You must be absolutely thrilled with your rifle and investment.

Snohomish Co. Washington
NRA Life Member