Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

ReSizing Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2013, 07:21 AM
Silver Member

Re: ReSizing Question

I am using once fired brass from federal fusion ammo I have also tried once fired brass from nosler and hsm and am having the same issue with all makes of brass. I have tried both rcbs dies and Lee dies same issue. Am I setting them wrong? I have tried with brass fired in this rifle and another rifle I used to own with same result
Old 08-21-2013, 09:13 AM
Bronze Member

I full length size most of my brass. So the factory ammo is sliding in perfectly? Have you mic'd the once fired before resizing? Have you tried it in the chamber before resizing? I usually set my die all the way down to the shell holder than back it off about 1/32 of a turn. Then I will put imperial sizing wax on a case, run it through so that I can get a full stroke with the ram. When it comes out, I check to see how far down neck the wax was affected by the resizing. I want it close to the shoulder but not all the way to it.

I guess I would be mic'ing every part of the once fired before and after resizing and seeing if perhaps you are seating the die too far down. Almost sounds like its squishing the brass slightly. The only thing I can say though, is that I would expect right behind the shoulder to bulge, not near the rim.

Just my .02 cent...

Seth
Old 08-21-2013, 04:43 PM
Platinum Member

What's the history on this gun & barrel?
Old 08-21-2013, 10:30 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mconwa951 View Post
I am using once fired brass from federal fusion ammo I have also tried once fired brass from nosler and hsm and am having the same issue with all makes of brass. I have tried both rcbs dies and Lee dies same issue. Am I setting them wrong? I have tried with brass fired in this rifle and another rifle I used to own with same result
I read one of your earlier post about your rifle before replacing the barrel. I mike my new 300WSM brass same spot you did and have .547 same as you I'm not up on the Savage rifles or their replacement barrels or any of their chambers as I much prefer having gunsmith do all the work on something like Rem/Win action

I use Wilson seater and neck die and FL sizing use a body and my body die sizes case for my chamber. After 3/4 firing I FL size. I reload for my varmint partner Tikka T-3 in 300wsm and on his fired brass I uses RCBS Small Base sizer in 300WSM and that die will size those cases to fit my chamber also and they just drop in and bolt closes real nice. that rifles never had a factory rd fired in it and fired case mikes 5.56

You might want to call Shilen and see what they say and your sized case should be around .550/.499 other choice Mikecr uses JLC might want to get # from Mike and give him a call send few fired cases fit a die to your chamber.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:45 PM
Silver Member

Ok so ill answer a few of the questions to try and get to bottom of this. It is a new benchmark barrel installed on a savage model 11. The casings I am having issues with were fired out of the old barrel and are once fired factory ammo casings. I checked the once fired casing out of the new barrel and they actually fit right back in and function normally without sizing.

I blackend the casings out of the old barrel and the only place they are hanging up is right above the rim where I am getting the .554 measurement and am afraid to shoot these again. They have just a slight catch now but am afraid they will really stick badly upon another firing.

These casings were sticking and hard to get out of the factory barrel when they were fired and some even blew out the primer. which is really weird since it was factory ammo. Is this just a case of a bad chamber that messed the brass up to the point it can not be saved?

I am getting pretty frustrated all I want to do is load up some ammo and go shoot.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:33 PM
Platinum Member

Interesting! I had a 338 Lapua built (also with a Benchmark Barrel, not that it matters). I had an LRH member send me a once fired casing to fire form and rap for an OAL gauge. The brass would not chamber in my rifle. Turns out it was originally fired in a Savage. The area near the case head (too far down to size) miked much larger than unfired brass. Sounds like you may have a similar issue. Get some virgin brass and you should be good to go.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:00 AM
Bronze Member

Have you sized any once fired brass from the new barrel/chamber that you said slid in easy? If you can size it and it still fits and closes easily, then you just have to get rid of the old brass. If it still is an issue then you can start looking closer at your resizing die.