Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Resizing issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2012, 10:37 PM
Bronze Member

Resizing issue

I have a set of dies from CH tool and die corp. in 300 wby mag. Does anyone have any experience with this company? When I try to re-size my brass they keep getting stuck in the dies. I've tried three different lubes but I can not get around this problem, it just keeps happening. Although I have had these dies for a while, its my first time using them. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or what? I've never experienced this issue. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks
Ryan
Old 01-30-2012, 12:43 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Resizing issue

Have you disassembled the dies and cleaned them?

Can you tell of they've been scratched or scored inside?

When you did get your cases unstuck, did you measure to see if they come out with proper dimensions?

Imperial Sizing Wax is pretty good stuff.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:54 AM
Gold Member

I agree that the dies may still have transport grease inside them that has gone dry . If they are new but have not been used at all and stored the grease can dry and become a problem.
Also the brass may be dirty . Polish up the brass with fine steel wool and wipe them off .
Dismantle the die. Get a wad of fine steel wool and wrap it around a stick ( wood only ) and wet it with bore solvent . Then scrub out the die push up hard so some of the steel wool goes up into the neck area . Then wash it out with Turpentine or some solvent. Inspect the inside of the die if it looks smooth it should be ok. Lengthwise scratches will not cause sticking cases , they mark brass though. Circular reamer marks or scores can cause case sticking .
Use a purpose made sizing lube . I like RCBS liquid .
Also make sure you are doing your sizing at the top of the press ram travel stroke so that when it comes time to extract you have good leverage .
Old 01-30-2012, 05:33 AM
Platinum Member

CH Tool and Die Co. went out of business about 40 years ago. I still have several sets of their dies and a case trimmer (it is a exact duplicate of the Wilson trimmer). I agree with the suggested cleaning methods. You might want to replace the dies with something newer.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:36 PM
Gold Member

Wideners still sell them Widener's Reloading and Shooting Supply INC

From Wideners site , " CH/4D was formed in 1990 when CH Tool & Die and 4D Custom Die Co. merged. This merger combined the standard caliber product line and 5 decades of industry experience from CH with the hard to find product list and short run production know how of 4D," End Quote.

This seems to indicate that Ch tool and die was still around in 1990 in some form. I was still buying their products in the mid 80's .
Old 01-30-2012, 07:16 PM
Platinum Member

Well, I learn something new every day. I googled them. Had no idea they were still in business - I have not seen their ad anywhere in many years. Now, they even produce bushing dies. I wonder why they don't advertise? Looks like they are doing a lot of custom speciality work. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:03 PM
Platinum Member

"When I try to re-size my brass they keep getting stuck in the dies. I've tried three different lubes but I can not get around this problem, it just keeps happening. Although I have had these dies for a while, its my first time using them. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or what?"

The original CH company was a pioneer in reloading and made very high quality tools. Of course you could replace them with a lesser qualty modern made die set.

Cases stick in dies for one reason; improper lubing. Either the lube is wrong or improperly applied; usually the latter.

Clean the die's interior and then lube the lower/thicker part of your cases well, you won't have any more trouble.