Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Resizing with full length or neck sizing die?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2010, 09:24 PM
Bronze Member

Resizing with full length or neck sizing die?

What is the best way to resize your cases for accuracy? Is it best to just resize the neck and leave the case formed to you chamber or does it really matter? If you could give me some of your expertise on what you do and how you go about it that would be great, thanks.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:23 PM
Gold Member

Re: Resizing with full length or neck sizing die?

OK there are lots of ways to skin a cat but I'll take out my knife first.

I like to use a Lee Collet Neck Sizer and a Redding Body Die combination. The Lee Collet will size the neck with no lube, no expander ball jerking on the neck and with very little runout. The Redding Body Die will size the case body and push the shoulder back if needed.

IMO it is important to size the case body for 2 reasons:

1. Mainly the brass in the case body can be banana shaped and if you don't size it so that it does not bear on the chamber, then it will push your case so that it may not orient the neck and bullet in line with the bore. Also if the centerline of the case neck is not aligned with the centerline of the case body then you may not be orienting your bullet in line with the bore.

2. Also chambers are not perfect and unless you can chamber the fire formed case body in the exact same orientation everytime then you may get a different orientation of the neck and bullet in line with the bore.

I also set the shoulder position for very slight contact between the case shoulder and chamber shoulder, called a slight crush fit.

To help orient the neck and bullet in line with the bore, I also leave part of the fire formed neck unsized

I do this by putting a washer around the case on top of the shell holder with the Lee Collet

If you are using a bushing die (which I have for a couple of calibers) then you can adjust the die to size only part of the neck. Then use the Redding Body Die.

So the case body is not in a bind in the chamber and the fire formed portion of the neck and the sloped shoulder contact orients the bullet in line with the bore.

Just my way, next cat up for skinning
Old 09-22-2010, 06:59 AM
Platinum Member

It's Chevy/Ford on this....
I partial NS with a Wilson bushing, and bump shoulders/min body size with JLC or Redding body dies. Much of it for just the opposite of what is commonly thought.

1. Sizing rarely reduces runout, but increases it, including firing in a chamber(your best die) -beyond initial fireforming.
2. No reason to size more of the neck than gripping the bullet bearing(oversizing).
3. No reason to oversize -anywhere.

There are qualifiers to different approaches, like pressure, brass quality, chamber fit, etc. In the end, you either control these or do the best you can with the results.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:15 AM
Platinum Member

Go to 6mmbr.com and read this article on adjusting and using FL dies

Bedeviled by Bump — When Full-Length Dies Don’t Work Daily Bulletin

Second, I just got Tony Boyers new book on accuracy shooting and he really confirms that FL sizing is the way to go for extreme accuracy.

Plus it absolutely has the the best and clearest explanation of die adjusting, shoulder bumping and why it works and does not work and the reasons for it. Tony Boyer is the top BR shooter around and people have been waiting for several years for his book and I see why now.

IMO there is a clear reason most of the top LR,,SR BR and Palma shooters FL resize.

Key thought is a properly fitted die.

BH
Old 09-22-2010, 04:49 PM
Platinum Member

"What is the best way to resize your cases for accuracy?"

If there was a " best" way to do anything we would all do it that way. We don't.

I know what works best for each of my rifles but I have no idea what will work best for yours, experiment.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:01 PM
Silver Member

I prefer to full length size mine. I use the Hornady headspace guage to properly adust my full length sizing die to very minimally size the case. I am getting excellent case life due to the minimal sizing and very consistent
Old 09-25-2010, 09:44 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BountyHunter View Post
Second, I just got Tony Boyers new book on accuracy shooting and he really confirms that FL sizing is the way to go for extreme accuracy.

Key thought is a properly fitted die.

BH
It's tough to apply broad sweeping generalities on this because you will find differences in chamber dimensions between bench rest guns and hunting guns. I agree with everything BH said but with the caveat you have a "match" chamber to start with. You just have to figure out what works best for your gun. Both my small caliber rifles have very tight chambers and FL sizing works best for them. My 25-06 on the other hand gets best accuracy when necksizing only because it has a more generous chamber (thanks for that Ruger) and my 7mm RM is in the FL sizing category as well.