Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Resizing Belted Magnums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2009, 04:38 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Resizing Belted Magnums

Just a thought on adjusting a FL die properly to just bump the case shoulder.

I often see suggestions to move the die in "small increments, like 1/4 of a turn, until you get it right." Friends, quarter turns of a sizer is a MASSIVE change to a case; it needs to be in MUCH SMALLER increments if it's to do you any good.

Consider that most SAAMI specs for bottle neck cartridges is around .008". A full turn of a 7/8x14 die moves it .0714", just over 71 thou. A quarter turn equals 17.85 thou, covering more than TWICE the normal allowable maximum range of headspace in just one adjustment! Adjusting your sizer in increments of 16th turn equals changes of 4.46 thou, or a bit over half the allowable headspace tolerance. That's certainly the largest amount of change you should make as you strive for proper fit to the chamber.

I put a series of prick-pin punch marks on the upper face of my sizer die lock rings, 16 of them, as evenly spaced as I can make them. I use those marks as a reference for die changes. I can easily make changes of half the distance between the marks. That's not absolutely precise but it works fine in practice.

The same sizing process IS valid for belted and rimmed cases as well.

Simply do your resizing work off the shoulder for all bottle neck cases and you can prevent a LOT of "normal" brass stretching that presents the danger of early head seperations.

Last edited by boomtube; 08-09-2009 at 04:41 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:58 PM
Silver Member

Boomtube is absolutely right and I have seen many posts with the incorrect info that he is talking about.
REgarding why a belted magnum die doesn't size all the way to the belt ALL ordinary die makers leave a small safety zone so that the die can't hit the belt and move it. That way headspace stays where it was designed to be.
A fl die should be set for about a .002-.003 bump of the shoulder from its full chamber dimensions in my book. Others may have slightly different opinions and you can set it even closer if all you are shooting is paper.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraky1 View Post
Boomtube is absolutely right and I have seen many posts with the incorrect info that he is talking about.
REgarding why a belted magnum die doesn't size all the way to the belt ALL ordinary die makers leave a small safety zone so that the die can't hit the belt and move it. That way headspace stays where it was designed to be.
A fl die should be set for about a .002-.003 bump of the shoulder from its full chamber dimensions in my book. Others may have slightly different opinions and you can set it even closer if all you are shooting is paper.
Why would you need more than .001 clearance? In a hunting situation, I don't intend to shoot more than a single round, so getting dirt into the chamber isn't really a concern. If it gets dirty, I'll just clean it. Or am I missing something.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 08-09-2009, 07:15 PM
Silver Member

It's just a limit I set. Come to Wisconsin and make deer drives with us through the brush and see what comes out of your gun at the end of the day!! Admittedly....there are far more "sterile" hunting conditions that you could Crush fit if you like.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:17 PM
Silver Member

Best money you could spend if you shoot a belted magnum is to buy one of Larry Willis Belted Magnum sizing dies. It works wonderful! You still need a die to bump shoulder back because his only sizes from belt to where the shoulder starts. Larry post on LRH sometimes. The die is worth the money.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:45 PM
Silver Member

Yes...and Larry is getting "roasted" a bit on the next thread about sizing. I have one of his dies and it does what it says. It helped me reclaim alot of wby brass over the years from a couple custom guns with generous chambers.
Do him a favor and give him a positive response on the next resizing thread.