Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Resizing Belted Magnums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2009, 01:51 PM
Silver Member

Resizing Belted Magnums

I understand that it is preferable to full-length-resize casings for proper chambering in hunting rifles, but I have a couple of questions:

1. When I run the fired case through the full length resizing die, I can see marks on the case where it has been resized -- EXCEPT FOR THE LAST .06" BEFORE THE BELT, which remains smooth and untouched. I've tried setting up the die touching the bottom, and even tightened 1/4 or 1/2 turn beyond, but it doesn't seem to matter. Is this a problem?

I have a collet resizing die on order, but I was wondering if I need to worry in the meantime.

2. I use a SAAMI-sized chamber check to verify after resizing. Is that sufficient, or do I need to chamber check in the actual rifle?
Old 08-09-2009, 02:00 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Resizing Belted Magnums

Don't worry about resizing it all, as long as it will chamber easily in your rifle, you have resized enough. You are likely 'over-resizing' your brass though. Are you measureing the amount you are pushing your shoulder back? Even though you are reloading a belted magnum, you'll get better accuracy and much better brass life if you headspace off the shoulder instead of the belt. This will make reloading for your belted magnum exactly the same as reloading for a non-belted cartridge.

All that you need to do is push the shoulder back .001". Your cartridge will chamber easily and you will get the best accuracy and brass life possible.

If you don't have the equipment to measure your brass, look here Bullet Comparators

I use the Hornady set.

Also, what lubricant are you using? I've found the Imperial sizing wax to be the best for bottleneck cartridge resizing.

Hope this helps,
AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 08-09-2009, 02:55 PM
Silver Member

I have a set of Stony Point (now Hornady) comparators. I'm using the .35 sleeve, though my loading manual indicates the neck should be .34.

Right now my fired brass measures 2.360 to the top of the shoulder, and it's resizing to 2.346. Obviously more than .001, but how do I adjust the sizing die to bump less?

I'm using Imperial Application Medium on the neck, and Imperial Wax or Hornady One Shot on the case body.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guns_and_labs View Post
I have a set of Stony Point (now Hornady) comparators. I'm using the .35 sleeve, though my loading manual indicates the neck should be .34.

Right now my fired brass measures 2.360 to the top of the shoulder, and it's resizing to 2.346. Obviously more than .001, but how do I adjust the sizing die to bump less?

I'm using Imperial Application Medium on the neck, and Imperial Wax or Hornady One Shot on the case body.

Just back your resizing die off until you are only resizing down to 2.359" or 2.358", if they chamber easily in your rifle at that length, you are good to go.

Easiest way is to back it off more than is needed and then adjust in, until you are pushing the shoulder back .001-.0015"

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 08-09-2009, 03:27 PM
Gold Member

This picture might help

the solid case head keeps the rear portion from expanding. The expansion starts where the brass thins

The thinning is progressive so where it reachs the thickness of the rest of the case body is where the case starts to expand outward

It is more a function of your chamber size than anything else and if you are not having a hard time chambering the case then you don't have a problem.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:15 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Peacock View Post
Just back your resizing die off until you are only resizing down to 2.359" or 2.358", if they chamber easily in your rifle at that length, you are good to go.

Easiest way is to back it off more than is needed and then adjust in, until you are pushing the shoulder back .001-.0015"

AJ
"Back off" by moving the whole assembly up (i.e. getting further from bottoming out the die) or by moving the pin/expander ball thingie up in the die?
Old 08-09-2009, 04:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guns_and_labs View Post
"Back off" by moving the whole assembly up (i.e. getting further from bottoming out the die) or by moving the pin/expander ball thingie up in the die?

Back the entire die up until you get just the right amount of shoulder bump. Then lock that down. The center (decapping assembly) needs to be down just enough to punch out the primers.

AJ